[WIP] Floating Island of Legends

Releases, works in progress, help, reviews, ideas, tutorials
Altbert

[WIP] Floating Island of Legends

Post by Altbert »

Today I have finished my last test run on my new mod "Floating Island of Legends SE". I just have to adjust some minor flows before I will upload the mod to AFK Mods. Sofar it runs as I expected, but it took quite a while to get there.

This mod "continues" the story of the books of Greg Keyes, The Infernal City and Lord of Souls, but with a twist. Prince Attrebus Mede has been able to fly part of the Infernal City to the Whiterun plains as remnants of the Ingenius were still working. The Floating Island is now in a stationary position above the Whiterun plains, west of Fort Greymoor. The mod contains four quests, but not Skyrim's regular quests: no quest stages, no quest markers. I have called these "questless quests". In a few days it will be available on AFK Mods. It just needs a final finishing touch!
Last edited by Selene310187 on Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: added [WIP] prefix to avoid confusion
These users thanked the author Altbert for the post (total 2):
Selene310187, smr1957

Tags:
Selene310187
Site Admin

Re: Floating Island of Legends

Post by Selene310187 »

That sounds really interesting. I loved the books and always wanted a continuation of the story. I'm looking forward to your mod like a little child.
smr1957

Post by smr1957 »

Great to see the mod up and running - or, perhaps, I should say floating!
Altbert

Post by Altbert »

Selene310187 wrote:
> That sounds really interesting. I loved the books and always wanted a
> continuation of the story. I'm looking forward to your mod like a little
> child.
Have a small preview of the floating island. I've posted two screenshots of the island on AFK when using the Dev Aveza airship to reach it.
Selene310187
Site Admin

Post by Selene310187 »

Looks cool! :)

As a side note, since you wrote 3 posts, you should now be able to use BBCodes and attachments. It's a anti-spam measure; for more information see here.
Altbert

Post by Altbert »

To my regret this mod is still a work in progress. Navmeshing the island is just horror, which makes NPCs on the island not following their AI, except for some areas. But, someone is going to try to help me out coming weekend. Keep my fingers crossed, hoping you will do also! The "questless" quests seem difficult for some, and I may have to decrease the difficulty level by adding a few more clues. No idea how to do that yet, but maybe by checking the player's level: the higher the level, the less clues. What do you think?
Bis vincit, qui se vincit in victoria - He conquers twice who conquers himself in victory (Publius Syrus)
Selene310187
Site Admin

Post by Selene310187 »

To my regret this mod is still a work in progress.
You don't need to feel sorry about it. It's done when it's done. Take the time you need.
Navmeshing the island is just horror, which makes NPCs on the island not following their AI, except for some areas.
I haven't touched Navmeshing in the Creation Kit yet. But maybe you find some helpful hints here.

The "questless" quests seem difficult for some, and I may have to decrease the difficulty level by adding a few more clues. No idea how to do that yet, but maybe by checking the player's level: the higher the level, the less clues. What do you think?
Why not? You could also (or alternatively) include a text file giving the users a few hints/pointers.
These users thanked the author Selene310187 for the post:
Altbert
Altbert

Post by Altbert »

Thanks, Selene.

Someone is already taking care of the navmeshing this weekend. I hope he will get it right! Keep my fingers crossed this weekend.

Clues are all in various notes, so it would be easy to add additional clues to the notes, and even create additional notes that appear depending on the player's level. But, even the player's level doesn't mean the player may understand the clues.
Bis vincit, qui se vincit in victoria - He conquers twice who conquers himself in victory (Publius Syrus)
Altbert

Post by Altbert »

Sofar the navmeshing goes well! The tester even did have two followers on the island, including preferred paths from the road to the well (door to the island), and they were using all possible idles and furniture. It may still take a while until navmeshing is completed as are many cells to be re-navmeshed, both on the islands and the surface.
Selene310187
Site Admin

Post by Selene310187 »

I'm glad you could solve the navmeshing issue and wish you luck in your modding :sn-2:.
These users thanked the author Selene310187 for the post:
Altbert