Regulars' Table

Take a seat, lean back and talk about anything that comes to mind here - as long as it stays civil.
Selene310187
Site Admin

Re: Regulars' Table

Post by Selene310187 »

I visited an art exhibition about sunsets with my art therapy group today. A lot of the displayed art works were fabulous; some of them very disturbing with their post-apocalyptic style. After everyone had finished their very own round tour, we met at the café of the Kunsthalle to chatter over coffee and cake (I ate the cake - a vegan one with raspberries and chocolate - but drank a chai instead of coffee).

Back at home, I finally updated the forum to newest version and implemented some of the things that I had put aside during my buzzing time like the "About me" profile field or the auto-draft feature.

Later in the evening, a friend of mine comes over (R.), and another friend (D.) visits me tomorrow in the afternoon. D. and R. know each other and together we watched Avatar 2 (great movie btw) about one month ago. When I met them separately, we usually continue to watch our series or a movie. I watch The Boys with D. and Westworld with R. currently.
Altbert

Post by Altbert »

The last couple of days I have been working on my family history again after some time, and received a message from a Dutch woman who was half Dutch, half British, with whom I have a DNA match. She was very surprised that I was 30% British, and she was 0% British. Problem with genealogical online programs is that these only look at people's present residence when comparing DNA matches. Long story short: we are related through both the paternal and maternal line, we are both mainly of Frisian and Scandinavian descent.

The world is really small ...
Bis vincit, qui se vincit in victoria - He conquers twice who conquers himself in victory (Publius Syrus)
smr1957

Post by smr1957 »

And here's a new Etienne and Hador adventure:
The Silent Madness of the Mannequins - viewtopic.php?p=1308#p1308

Sounds really interesting, Albert! Makes you wonder how many other people are out there that a person may be related to and not even know anything about!

Selene, sounds like you had a really good day! You deserve it!
These users thanked the author smr1957 for the post:
Selene310187
Selene310187
Site Admin

Post by Selene310187 »

Altbert wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:33 pmgenealogical online programs
I sometimes thought about doing this as well. Something is holding me back to cross the line. Is this due to my social anxiety?
Altbert wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:33 pmThe world is really small ...
That's true. I experienced this just yesterday at the art exhibition. Nearly at the end of my (second) round tour, I met a woman who I saw about 3 years ago the last time. I knew that I know her but I couldn't remember the details anymore. So I asked her. It turns out that she was my contact person in my last job-creation measure. She recently read my name in the edition notice in one of the family magazines of the little publishing house and was proud that I hold this job.
smr1957 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:25 amSelene, sounds like you had a really good day! You deserve it!
Yes, it was. And meeting R. formed the icing of the cake. Our conversation gave me new perspectives about some things in my life that bother me. After that we managed to watch two and a half episodes of Westworld and only few episodes of the forth season are left. They build up tension until it is almost unbearable and often leave you with a cliffhanger at the end of a episode. I simply love this series :sn-13:
Altbert

Post by Altbert »

smr1957 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:25 am Sounds really interesting, Albert! Makes you wonder how many other people are out there that a person may be related to and not even know anything about!
Actually nearly 7800 DNA matches from just one genealogy source. I don't know any of them. Only a few matches can be traced back in my family history. Most are from The Netherlands (~2200) and US (~1800) and the rest from 52 different countries.
Bis vincit, qui se vincit in victoria - He conquers twice who conquers himself in victory (Publius Syrus)
smr1957

Post by smr1957 »

Good day, all! I've been helping a friend with their SSE build - basically walking them through and teaching them the use of xEdit, and it just reinforces what I always harp on, that if you have a large build, and are not using xEdit to adjust things and edit for compatibility, you are likely not seeing many things in your game that should be there. With smaller builds, sorting should be sufficient (though a person still may be missing content due to records being overwritten - even despite using patches), but with the large builds - especially due to the use of .esls - that so many (and especially newer players) have, it is no wonder they are having issues - and even if they don't, probably up to 25% (if not more) of added content is not appearing in the game. They basically ordered a ten course meal, but are only eating a few of the items they ordered, when they should have ordered a sample platter instead, or edited the portions.

Well, that's my mini rant for the day - and it's nothing that those who know me haven't already heard - LOL!

"I wonder if I can eat all this?"
20230225091334_1.jpg
Selene310187
Site Admin

Post by Selene310187 »

smr1957 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:56 pmWith smaller builds, sorting should be sufficient (though a person still may be missing content due to records being overwritten - even despite using patches), but with the large builds - especially due to the use of .esls - that so many (and especially newer players) have, it is no wonder they are having issues - and even if they don't, probably up to 25% (if not more) of added content is not appearing in the game. They basically ordered a ten course meal, but are only eating a few of the items they ordered, when they should have ordered a sample platter instead, or edited the portions.
I prefer to play with smaller builds. It's easier to find the culprit if something goes wrong. Furthermore, I rather spent my limited free time on creating mods. So my game is mostly Vanilla with some nice additions on my notebook. I have more mods installed on my desktop, however, in comparison to most builds nowadays, the number of installed mods is still small.

D. and I watched three movies in a row on Saturday: The Last Warrior, Steamboy and Stalker. The latter was very confusing and interesting at the same time.

Selene310187 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:13 pm I went to the supermarket late in the evening (I prefer this time because there a lot less people then). I got the spontaneous idea to cook a gratin. I don't remember the last time I did this. It will consist of potatoes, carrots, spring onions, baby spinach and turkey breast. The sauce will be made of sour cream and Gorgonzola (I haven't done this combination before; it's an experiment and I love experiments ). I probably put everything together on Friday, Saturday or Sunday.
I cooked the dish on Sunday. It was an adventure in itself. Ask my (poor) fingers. They didn't like the potato grater at all and were relieved that I finally put the dangerous thing aside. Joking apart, I indeed cut my finger with the potato grater :sn-26:. In addition, I accidentally touched the hot hotplate but, luckily, the finger in question was still wet so I didn't get any burn blister. The gratin was good nevertheless.
Altbert

Post by Altbert »

Selene310187 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:14 pm
Altbert wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:33 pmgenealogical online programs
I sometimes thought about doing this as well. Something is holding me back to cross the line. Is this due to my social anxiety?
Altbert wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:33 pmThe world is really small ...
That's true. I experienced this just yesterday at the art exhibition. Nearly at the end of my (second) round tour, I met a woman who I saw about 3 years ago the last time. I knew that I know her but I couldn't remember the details anymore. So I asked her. It turns out that she was my contact person in my last job-creation measure. She recently read my name in the edition notice in one of the family magazines of the little publishing house and was proud that I hold this job.
No need to hold back. You're as anonymous in online genealogy programs as you are here. You don't need to expose your personal information, in fact you need to hide information of living persons according to privacy regulations. But you can hide any information of any person to your liking.
You won't have to attend to extensive "conversations" (chat or otherwise), unless you want to. The Dutch/British woman and I seemed to have much in common. We don't know each other, have never seen each other, but there is some "click" and we now exchange info on an almost dayly basis, not only on genealogy, but also on things that interests us. And ... this happened for the very first time in over 7 years. I don't think you have anything to worry about!

BTW, you don't have to use an online genealogy program. Most archives are free to search now. That's how I found the ancestors of my son's wife, who is British, to create an ancestor table (Ahnentafel) for my grandsons.
These users thanked the author Altbert for the post:
Selene310187
smr1957

Post by smr1957 »

Good day, all!

Selene, I watched Stalker recently - rather a strange movie in that nothing really happens. There is only one scene in the movie that may indicate something strange is going on, but otherwise you are left wondering if everything concerning the alleged stories was just made up tales. The whole movie I was waiting for something to occur (and it didn't even have to be anything overly dramatic - just something), and nothing ever did. Reminded me of as kids, sitting outside at night, and telling stories to scare each other - but which were not true. And the end of the film I was left wondering if anything Stalker said about strange and deadly happenings had been true - or if it was all just some story he made up.
Selene310187
Site Admin

Post by Selene310187 »

I have taken a break from Skyrim and creating mods for Skyrim for a couple of weeks now and play Two Worlds 2 instead. On the one hand I feel guilty that I postponed one project which was nearly ready to be released, on the other hand playing Two Worlds 2 remembered me why I started to play games in the first place long before I began to make mods. Creating mods recently didn't give me the same pleasure as Two Worlds 2 does. So I continue to play this game to find joy in modding Skyrim (and sometime in the future: Oblivion and Fallout 4) again. I can't say how long this break from modding will be. It could be some months, a year or longer.

It's not the first time I take longer breaks from my passion. I need this longer break from time to time to feel "fresh" (or "motivated" or "energized") enough to pursue the passion in the long run. No matter how long this break was, I always returned to my projects. I tried to make mods and play games alongside each other, however I function better if I can concentrate on one thing at the time - either playing games or making mods. So it takes longer until a mod is finished. This is how it is and how I am. I slowly learned to accept this circumstance.

Return to “Seating Area”