Games and Windows 11

• Computers and technology: programming, hardware, software, gadgets, cyber security, ...
  • phpBB tutorials

Ivanhoe1955SI

Games and Windows 11

Post by Ivanhoe1955SI »

The important thing in advance:
I do not have a pirated copy of the Windows operating system. It was upgraded from Windows 7 as part of the free upgrades to Windows 10
Then I saw a tutorial on the Internet that showed how to upgrade from Win 10 to Win 11 using Microsoft's own tools and the respective ISO files, even if the prerequisites are not present. The only condition was a legal copy of the operating system to be upgraded to Win 11.

This has worked wonderfully for me and unfortunately the 10 day margin has expired for me, which would allow me to downgrade to Win 10 again.

However, I have noticed the following during this time with Wn 11:

The Outer Worlds has become unplayable, it freezes every 10 seconds.
ESO was unplayable for a while, there was a short freeze every approx. 15 - 35 sec.
Elex and Elex 2 had short jerks

The following could be fixed by new drivers and also a maintenance performed by Zenimax at ESO:
ESO as well as Elex and Elex 2 run well
Fallout NV runs stable and fast
Fallout 76 and Fallout 4 are in test mode or are being reinstalled at the moment.

My fear is that my system is overloaded with Win 11.

Requirements are according to Microsoft:
Processor 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with 2 or more cores on a compatible 64-bit processor or SoC (system-on-a-chip).
RAM 4 gigabytes (GB).
Memory 64 GB or larger storage device, Note: For more information, click here: "More information on memory to keep Windows 11 up to date".
System firmware UEFI, enabled for secure boot. See here for information on how your PC can meet this requirement.
TPM Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0. Here are instructions on how your PC can meet this requirement.
Graphics Card Compatible with DirectX 12 or higher with WDDM 2.0 driver.
Display High-resolution display (720p) with a diagonal greater than 9 inches and 8 bits per color channel.

For me only apply
Ram
Memory
UEFi (but without Secure Boot)
Graphics card
I have an Intel 5-4440 4x 3.1 GHz
No TPM
16 GB DDR3 1600 Ram
Geforce GTX 1660 6GB Graka

I'm afraid I'll have to bite the bullet and delete everything so I can reinstall Win 10.
Or are there any suggestions that will let the chalice pass me by?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Spoiler
Das wichtige vorab:
Ich habe keine Raubkopie des Windows Betriebssystems. Es wurde von Windows 7 im Rahmen der kostenlosen Upgrades auf Windows 10
Dann sah ich eine Anleitung im Internet die zeigte wie man mit Microsoft eigenen Tools und den jeweiligen ISO Dateien von Win 10 und Win 11 auf Win 11 upgraden kann, auch wenn die Voraussetzungen nicht vorliegen. Bedingung dabei war lediglich eine legale Kopie des Betriebssystems, das auf Win 11 gebracht werden soll.

Das hat bei mir wunderbar funktioniert und leider ist für mich der 10 Tages Spielraum abgelaufen, der mir ein Downgrade auf Win 10 wieder ermöglichen würde.

Ich habe aber im Laufe dieser Zeit mit Wn 11 folgendes festgestellt:

The Outer Worlds ist unspielbar geworden, es friert alle ca. 10 Sek ein.
ESO war eine Zeitlang nicht spielbar, alle ca. 15 - 35 Sekunden kam es zu einem kurzen Freeze
Elex und Elex 2 hatten kurzzeitige Ruckler

Folgendes konnte durch neu Treiber und auch eine von Zenimax durchgeführte Wartung bei ESO behoben werden:
ESO sowie Elex und Elex 2 laufen gut
Fallout NV läuft stabil und schnell
Fallout 76 und Fallout 4 sind im Testmodus beziehungsweise werden neu installiert zur Zeit.

Meine Befürchtung ist das mein System mit Win 11 überfordert ist.

Voraussetzungen sind ja laut Microsoft:
Prozessor 1 Gigahertz (GHz) oder schneller mit 2 oder mehr Kernen auf einem kompatiblen 64-Bit-Prozessor oder SoC (System-on-a-chip).
RAM 4 Gigabyte (GB).
Speicher 64 GB oder größeres Speichergerät, Hinweis: Weitere Informationen finden Sie hier: „Weitere Informationen zum Speicherplatz, um Windows 11 auf dem neuesten Stand zu halten“.
Systemfirmware UEFI, aktiviert für sicheren Start. Hier finden Sie Informationen dazu, wie Ihr PC diese Anforderung erfüllen kann.
TPM Trusted Platform Module (TPM) Version 2.0. Hier finden Sie Anweisungen dazu, wie Ihr PC diese Anforderung erfüllen kann.
Grafikkarte Kompatibel mit DirectX 12 oder höher mit WDDM 2.0-Treiber.
Bildschirm Hochauflösender Bildschirm (720p) mit einer Diagonale von mehr als 9 Zoll und 8 Bit pro Farbkanal.

Bei mir treffen nur zu
Ram
Speicher
UEFi (aber ohne Secure Boot)
Grafikkarte
Ich habe einen Intel 5-4440 4x 3,1 GHz
Kein TPM
16 GB DDR3 1600 Ram
Geforce GTX 1660 6GB Graka

Ich befürchte das ich in den sauren Apfel beißen muss und alles löschen damit ich Win 10 erneut installieren kann.
Oder gibt es Vorschläge, die den Kelch an mir vorübergehen lassen?
Don't blame me, I'm only human after all
Selene310187
Site Admin

Re: Games and Windows 11

Post by Selene310187 »

Did you try playing the games in Windows 10 compatibility mode and run the game as administrator? That are the things that I can think of off the cuff.

It seems that you may have borked your PC by updating it and your PC can't handle the new Windows. But I'm not an expert. You may find some in the Steam forum. Many members in the Old Farts' Coffee House thread for example are experts.
Ivanhoe1955SI

Post by Ivanhoe1955SI »

Selene310187 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:10 pm Did you try playing the games in Windows 10 compatibility mode and run the game as administrator? That are the things that I can think of off the cuff.

It seems that you may have borked your PC by updating it and your PC can't handle the new Windows. But I'm not an expert. You may find some in the Steam forum. Many members in the Old Farts' Coffee House thread for example are experts.
There was a statement: a PC that can do Win10 can also do Win11
This does not seem to be quite true.
Win11 has more security restrictions than Win10.
Among other things, this is also reflected in services that run in the background and slow down if the requirements are not met.

However, my PC does not meet all the requirements and therefore the services look for solutions in the background and can not find them. This does not damage the PC, but slows it down partly strongly. Not only that, but not all the security optimizations provided by Win11 are executed, but first there is always a call that cannot be terminated. (can not explain it better)
So I decided to delete my Windows 11 installation again and reinstall Windows 10. This will cost many hours of work despite backups, but there I have to go through.

Spoiler
Es gab eine Aussage: ein PC der Win10 kann der kann auch Win11 schaffen
Das scheint nicht ganz zu stimmen.
Win11 hat mehr Restriktionen die Sicherheit betreffend als Win10.
Das zeigt sich unter anderem auch in Diensten die im Hintergrund laufen und bei Nichtvorliegen der Voraussetzungen verlangsamen.

Mein PC erfüllt aber nicht alle Voraussetzungen und daher suchen die Dienste im Hintergrund nach Lösungen und können diese nicht finden. Das schädigt nicht den PC, aber verlangsamt ihn zum Teil stark. Nicht nur das, es werden auch nicht alle von Win11 bereitgestellten Sicherheitsoprimierungen ausgeführt, aber es erfolgt erst mal immer ein Aufruf der nicht beendet werden kann. (kann es nicht besser erklären)
Daher habe ich mich entschlossen meine Windows 11 Installation wieder zu löschen und Windows 10 neu zu installieren. Das wird viele Stunden Arbeit kosten trotz Backups, aber da muss ich durch.
Ivanhoe1955SI

Post by Ivanhoe1955SI »

I think I have found a solution. All games run again with satisfactory values, not all very good but playable.

If there is interest (Nvidia users) I will also present the solution here, but I think it is not applicable for everyone.
Spoiler
Ich denke ich habe eine Lösung gefunden. Alle Spiele laufen wieder mit zufriedenstellenden Werten, nicht alle sehr gut aber spielbar.

Wenn Interesse besteht (Nvidia-Nutzer) stelle ich die Lösung hier auch vor, aber ich denke, es ist nicht für alle anwendbar.
Selene310187
Site Admin

Post by Selene310187 »

Yes, It would be great if you post your solution to help the ones who have a similar problem. And I'm interested in it myself to be prepared when I (need to) switch to Windows 11 in the future (I use a Nvidia graphics card on the desktop and the notebook).
Ivanhoe1955SI

Post by Ivanhoe1955SI »

Selene310187 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:19 pm Yes, It would be great if you post your solution to help the ones who have a similar problem. And I'm interested in it myself to be prepared when I (need to) switch to Windows 11 in the future (I use a Nvidia graphics card on the desktop and the notebook).
The important thing is which Windows 11 version you have. If it is the 21H2, you don't have to do anything in principle, but it looks a bit different with the Windows 22H2 according to user reports. There were reports of partly strong performance drops in games.
My system has its bottleneck in the CPU. This does not seem to cause any trouble under Windows 10 according to my experiences with the games I have.
What also plays into it for me and other gamers, however, is the graphics card driver. At the moment, only Nvidia users are particularly affected.
The last driver 531.29 should fix problems with a high CPU load with Nvidia telemetry services, but did this with me only partially. It started with over 50% CPU load, after installing the driver it went down by 15%. Normal would be in normal operation but only max 4%

Workaround: (please uninstall only if you don't need it)
Uninstall from
Nvidia FrameVIEW sdk
Nvidia Expierience
Removal of all graphics optimizations in Windows 11

Read more here: (german)
https://windowsarea.de/2022/09/windows- ... afikkarte/

Despite improvements, one game still remains almost unplayable due to frequent jerks: The Outer Worlds.
On Windows 10 it ran smoothly with the settings I use on Win 11.
Tells me only that a return to previous version must be made.

Spoiler
Wichtig ist welche Windows 11 Version man hat. Ist es die 21H2 muss man im Prinzip nichts machen, aber bei der Windows 22H2 sieht es nach Userberichten etwas anders aus. Da wurde von zum Teil starken Performanceeinbrüchen bei Spielen berichtet.
Mein System hat seinen Flaschenhals bei der CPU. Diese scheint nach meinen Erfahrungen mit den Spielen, die ich habe unter Windows 10 keinen Ärger zu machen.
Was bei mir und auch anderen Spielern aber auch mit spielt, ist der Grafikkartentreiber. Hier betrifft es im Moment nur Nvidia Nutzer besonders stark.
Der letzte Treiber 531.29 sollte Probleme mit einer hohen CPU-Last bei Nvidia Telemetriediensten beheben, aber tat dies bei mir nur zum Teil. Begonnen hat es da mit über 50% CPU Last, nach Installation des Treibers ging es um 15% nach unten. Normal wären im Normalbetrieb aber nur max 4%

Abhilfe: (bitte nur deinstallieren wenn man es nicht braucht)
Deinstallation von
Nvidia FrameVIEW sdk
Nvidia Expierience
Entfernen aller Grafikoptimierungen bei Windows 11

Nachzulesen hier: (Deutsch)
https://windowsarea.de/2022/09/windows- ... afikkarte/

Trotz Verbesserungen bleibt aber ein Spiel immer noch nahezu unspielbar da häufige Ruckler: The Outer Worlds.
Unter Windows 10 lief es mit den Einstellungen die ich auch bei Win 11 verwende flüssig.
Sagt mir nur das ein Rücksprung auf vorige Version gemacht werden muss
These users thanked the author Ivanhoe1955SI for the post:
Selene310187