Traditional Archery

2D and 3D design, traditional art, handicrafts
Altbert

Traditional Archery

Post by Altbert »

Here I'm shooting my traditional 75 lbs English warbow during a Shoot at the Marks (or Roving Marks) tournament near Castle Doornenburg. During these tournaments we are shooting at marks in the area ranging from 80 to 220 yards in distance. This is a game instituted by English King Henry VIII to train his archers. In 2009 I have attended a special tournament in the centre of London on the last part of the famous Finnsbury Fields during the 500 year celebration of the Fraternity of Saint George, on invitation of the Honorary Artillary Company.
Bis vincit, qui se vincit in victoria - He conquers twice who conquers himself in victory (Publius Syrus)
Selene310187
Site Admin

Re: Traditional Archery

Post by Selene310187 »

I never tried archery but always wanted it. About 10 years ago, at the end of my cure, I heard that the clinic offered archery workshops. Unfortunately, I haven't got another prolongation. Then I forgot my wish because I was occupied with my (second) apprenticeship and the (not so good) things that happened after the first year of the apprenticeship. Thanks for reminding me to finally make this wish come true. I hope I can improve my hand-eye coordination with archery.
Altbert

Post by Altbert »

Best way to start with archery is to follow an archery class at a nearby archery club. I started little over 16 years ago and a few years later I was able to follow classes to become archery trainer. I have been training for some 5 or 6 years.
Started with modern type recurve bow, but within one year I switched to traditional/historical bows, almost entirely attending 3D, Clout and Roving Marks tournaments. To my regret I can't shoot my English warbow anymore because of a car accident, which ruined my left shoulder. Now I'm shooting with a Viking longbow (Haithabu design) of 45 lbs, which I can handle despite my shoulder.
These users thanked the author Altbert for the post:
Selene310187
Bis vincit, qui se vincit in victoria - He conquers twice who conquers himself in victory (Publius Syrus)
smr1957

Post by smr1957 »

Good shot of you, Albert! I can just see you as an archer at Agincourt!
Altbert

Post by Altbert »

Not anymore, Steve! I can't handle my English warbow anymore and I don't have anything suitable to wear at Agincourt, and I don't think I'm welcome in Viking-style clothing/armor. Also, with some 3,000 archers around, you will certainly have lost all your arrows, which all have to be socalled quarter-pounders (very expensive both in making and in buying), and the arrows have to cohere to standards from the 16th century.

Return to “Art Studio”