Your thoughts on Starfield

Selene310187
Site Admin

Re: Your thoughts on Starfield

Post by Selene310187 »

My brain, better inner critic, says: complete your mod project and your new Skyrim playthrough first and if you don't do that you will feel guilty*! But the more I read about other people's rather positive experiences with the game, the more I feel like I'm missing something. I think it's mainly the mutual exchange about a (new) game that I miss. Do you have an advice how I could solve this predicament?

* Feeling guilty when I delay my project anew because I'm afraid of disappointing those who are looking forward to the finished mod.

Tags:
Selene310187
Site Admin

Post by Selene310187 »

I could mitigate my inner conflict. If I continue to work on my Skyrim mod project instead right now, Starfield will still be in the back of my mind distracting me which interferes with my creative process. Furthermore, I want to be part of the Starfield community where I share my experience with this new game and the discoveries I made with others and converse about various Starfield related topics. That's why I'll give Starfield my full attention for now (and take a break from the Skyrim mod project). Yes, I just have bought Starfield :sn-13:.
Altbert

Post by Altbert »

I'm in doubt!! I don't like space games, but at the other hand SF uses an upgraded engine. What are the differences compared to SSE's engine? I will probably wait for TES6 and the accompaning CK. Hurry up Beth, I'm nearly 70 years of age!
Bis vincit, qui se vincit in victoria - He conquers twice who conquers himself in victory (Publius Syrus)
Selene310187
Site Admin

Post by Selene310187 »

The space portion is more or less an advanced version of fast traveling with start and landing sequences. Right after starting and before landing can happen events like being attacked by ships of the space pirates. I don't know how often these events will happen because I only played Starfield about 6 hours so far. The strengths of the game lie elsewhere. Just like in Skyrim there's enough to explore. At the moment, I can't say much about the story, I need to play the game more and have only scratched the surface. It seems that they aren't taking the "you are the Dragonborn and have to save the world" route (please correct me, if I'm wrong). Regarding the locations, they have in part really interesting settings. So I spent a big part of the time in the Photo Mode making nice screenshots.
Ivanhoe1955SI

Post by Ivanhoe1955SI »

I'm still alive, the post should prove it.
I have extremely mixed feelings about Starfield. All in all, I'm interested in it, but the setting alone doesn't really pick me up. Should become understandable when you see my favorite games: Fallout, The Outer Worlds, Elex both parts, Dishonored.

But I would be willing to try it if someone would give me a PC that can handle Starfield. Mine can't.
But let's be realistic. Everything I've seen and heard about Starfield so far, as well as other users' posts on other forums, the hype is off the charts.
Many feel it is empty, randomly generated and lacks a good story. I can't confirm or deny that. I don't have the game. But it is significant that there are users who are now more interested in the shipbuilding than in the story.

Hardware requirement Starfield
The development was foreseeable, but nobody cares if I have to invest 125% of my monthly income just for a graphics card that is reasonably up-to-date. In addition, there would be a new motherboard, ram, CPU, etc.

To upgrade a PC to halfway new standard is the real never ending story

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Code: Select all

Ich lebe noch, der Post sollte es beweisen.
Ich stehe Starfield mit extrem gemischten Gefühlen gegenüber. Alles in allem interessiert es mich schon, alleine das Setting holt mich nicht wirklich ab. Sollte verständlich werden, wenn man meine Lieblingsspiele sieht: Fallout, The Outer Worlds, Elex beide Teile, Dishonored 

Aber ich wäre bereit es doch zu testen, wenn mir jemand einen PC schenken würde der Starfield stemmen kann.  Meiner kann es nicht.
Aber seien wir doch mal realistisch. Alles was ich bisher von Starfield gesehen und gehört habe sowie die Beiträge anderer User in anderen Foren ist die Hype nicht mehr so groß. 
Viele empfinden es als leer, random generiert und ohne eine gute Story. Das kann ich nicht bestätigen und auch nicht dementieren. Ich habe das Spiel nicht. Aber es ist doch bezeichnend, wenn es User gibt, die sich mittlerweile  mehr auf den Schiffsbau als auf die Story einlassen.

Hardware Anforderung Starfield
Die Entwicklung war zwar absehbar, es interessiert niemanden, wenn ich zum Beispiel nur für eine Grafikkarte, die einigermaßen aktuell ist 125% meines monatlichen Einkommens investieren muss. Dazu käme ein neues Mainboard, Ram, CPU blablabla

Einen PC auf halbwegs neuen Standard aufzurüsten ist die echte Never ending story
Don't blame me, I'm only human after all
Selene310187
Site Admin

Post by Selene310187 »

If you like the Fallout games, you will feel at home in Starfield. Many aspects of Starfield remind me of the Fallout games like the architecture, the modification of weapons, the terminals and slates (the equivalent to the holotapes). I've heard that many people mostly explore the rather empty unsettled planets to gather resources. But as far as the populated systems are concerned, these planets are very diverse - from the flora, fauna and various unknown places. Yesterday, I came across a big outpost of the Spacers (they are like the Raiders in Fallout) on Jemison (the planet where the city of New Atlantis is located). Eliminating them and taking their loot was a lot of fun for me. I've found a very nice helmet and some fascinating decorative items. I've haven't done much of the main story because I want to level my character more before I continue it and I find the side quests more interesting. Recently, for example, I helped a scientist to rescue a tree that has the potential to destroy a big part of New Atlantis.

Regarding your PC, you could try to play the game on lower settings. I did this with my previous computer which was 9 years old when I started to play Fallout 4 in 2019.

Did you thought of playing Starfield on console instead (at the moment it's the Xbox only)? As far as I know, it's more budget friendly than gaming on a PC.
Ivanhoe1955SI

Post by Ivanhoe1955SI »

Playing it with lower settings was an idea that crossed my mind as well.
But I'll be honest, I'm reluctant to buy a game for currently about 70 Euros only to have to return it.

But maybe someone can give me hope. This is my PC hardware:
CPU
I5-4440 4 cores at 3,1 Ghz
16 GB Ram DDR 3 1660
Geforce GTX 1660 6 GB VRam

Harddrives are SSD, I think that's normal standard

That's more than enough to play Fallout 4 in 1080p at 1920x1080. I only use 2K HD textures a few 4K and even in Boston Downtown I usually have more than 55 fps.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Selene310187
Site Admin

Post by Selene310187 »

Ivanhoe1955SI wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:57 pmBut maybe someone can give me hope. This is my PC hardware [...]
I entered your hardware here to see if it meets the minimum requirements. All components passed except the CPU:
Starfield-minimum-requirements-test-Ivanhoe.png

Regarding the minimum requirements:
If your CPU/GPU is x% slower than the minimum required, your game will most likely run x% slower than intended, but that's all there is to it*. However, if you're short even 1 byte of RAM, your performance may suffer significantly, or the game may even crash entirely.
[...]
*: Depending on the game, having a slower CPU/GPU actually might make the game unwinnable. For example, Mass Effect has a level in which you need to reach a certain point within a given time. However, while the timer is based on real time, the player's movement speed is dependent on your FPS. In this game, low FPS means low movement speed. As a result, if your computer is too slow, it may be impossible to finish that level due to running out of time.
Source

Ivanhoe1955SI wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:57 pmBut I'll be honest, I'm reluctant to buy a game for currently about 70 Euros only to have to return it.
If you don't want to spend 70 euros on the game just to check if it runs on your system, you could acquire it through the Game Pass which is available for the PC, too (German version of the site). The subscription fee is approximately 10 euros per month. You can cancel the subscription via your Microsoft account.

You could also try performance mods to gain extra FPS. Just search for "performance" on Starfield Nexus and you will find mods like these:
https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/510
https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/104
https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/290
Ivanhoe1955SI

Post by Ivanhoe1955SI »

Thank you for this. I will wait a few months, maybe I can get it in sale. Here I agree with Pixelmurder from Eldersrolls Portal
But today I read this in the Elderscrolls Portal:

Code: Select all

Ja, hab Starfield ca. 200 Stunden gespielt und hab alle Quests und Aktivitäten im Spiel gemacht (außer dieses bescheuerte Newgame+ System). Kann dazu demnächst auch mal ein längeres Fazit abgeben, aber um das mal vorwegzunehmen: Starfield ist eines der schwächsten Bethesda-Spiele seit langem. 
I mean the last sentence. Likewise, I myself can not agree or deny, as I said I do not own the game. But do you agree?
Selene310187
Site Admin

Post by Selene310187 »

Ivanhoe1955SI wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:27 pmI mean the last sentence. Likewise, I myself can not agree or deny, as I said I do not own the game. But do you agree?
I enjoy playing Starfield so far (my character is level 8 right now and Steam says that I played 20 hours). I cannot say it's the worst or the best of Bethesda's games because I think each of Bethesda's games has its own charm, strengths and weaknesses.