Regulars' Table

Take a seat, lean back and talk about anything that comes to mind here - as long as it stays civil.
Selene310187
Site Admin

Re: Regulars' Table

Post by Selene310187 »

I look very regularly at the statistics of the board and my mods and images on Nexus Mods. My mood can be influenced by the statistics, both positively and negatively. In order to be less dependent on it, I decided to hide these statistics from myself. This article made me want to implement this plan. Hiding the board statistics only from myself was easy because I just needed to change a user permission in the permission settings of the board. Hiding the stats of my mods and images on Nexus Mods (views, downloads, endorsements) was a little more complicated. I remembered that there is a browser extension that allows you to customize the CSS of websites (I use this one). With the help of the web developer tools, I found out which CSS elements are assigned to the relevant statistics. Setting these elements to "display: none" disables them on the website.

Here's the code snippet if you want to make something similar:

Code: Select all

.mod-tile ul.clearfix  {
    display: none!important;
}

.mod-image ul.clearfix {
}

ul.stats.clearfix {
}
Clicking on the pin symbol in Live editor for CSS and LESS extension makes the changes permanent. You can get rid of the notification that is shown after loading the site with the edited CSS in the extension's options under Notifications (just uncheck "Show notifications at..."). The extension is available for Chrome and Firefox, too.

After applying these CSS tweaks, my mods and images pages looked like this:
hidden mod stats.jpg
hidden image stats.jpg
Please note that the statistics of mods and images of other users are also hidden by using the CSS tweaks.
Selene310187
Site Admin

Post by Selene310187 »

Planned purchase 1: new smartphone after about six years
In May I talked about how I would probably buy a new smartphone this year (the current one is about six years old). It will happen tomorrow. It's because of my online banking app. The app will soon no longer support my smartphone's operating system. An update is out of the question because, as far as I know, this update worsens the performance and battery life of the device, a Samsung Galaxy J5 Duos from 2016 (I bought it at beginning of 2017). I was browsing on the website of an electronics store and came across the Motorola moto g54 5G (the 256 GB variant). I previously had my eye on the Samsung Galaxy A54 5G, but rejected it because it doesn't have a headphone jack (the Motorola does). I have Bluetooth headphones, but every now and then I connect my phone to the amplifier. Yes, I could use the adapter, but then I wouldn't be able to charge the smartphone because the slot is occupied by the adapter. It goes against the grain for me that manufacturers are taking away more and more ports from devices like smartphones or notebooks...

Planned purchase 2: self-help book
I also plan to purchase the book “How to Keep House While Drowning” by KC Davis. The book was recommended to me on Reddit several times. It's about finding a way to gently take care of your home and yourself.
Inside you will learn:
· How to shift your perspective of care tasks from moral to functional;
· How to stop negative self-talk and shame around care tasks;
· How to give yourself permission to rest, even when things aren’t finished;
· How to motivate yourself to care for your space.
Source
Selene310187
Site Admin

Post by Selene310187 »

Selene310187 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:21 pmI previously had my eye on the Samsung Galaxy A54 5G
Well, I bought the Samsung. The electronics store didn't have screen protectors for the Motorola. I didn't want to wait until I got one from Amazon and then return to the store for the screen protector application service. I wanted to kill two birds with one stone because being in the electronics store and in the mall, where the strore is located, is a sensory overload. Regarding the headphone jack, I guess I'll have to come to terms with that. I still have the adapter (and the old smartphone which has a headphone jack).

And I bought the self-help book, too.

Edit:

I successfully copied the data and apps from the old phone (the Samsung Galaxy J5 Duos) to the new one using the Samsung Smart Switch app on both phones. The online banking app also works on the new phone thanks to the device switching function of the app (the old phone generates a QR code and the new phone scans the QR code to transfer the necessary data).

I just tested one of my old games (a puzzle game with waterways) and the animations run so smooth without any lagging - compared to the old phone, the difference is like night and day.

If it weren't for the online banking app, who knows how long I would have waited before buying a new smartphone. Perhaps until it would have been completely broken, as was the case with my first smartphone, a Sony Ericsson Xperia Pro (the Samsung Galaxy J5 Duos is my second one).
Last edited by Selene310187 on Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Selene310187
Site Admin

Post by Selene310187 »

The Spectrum is now one year old!
On November 1st, 2022, I opened the Modding on the Spectrum forum. So let's celebrate! :sn-48: :sn-56: :sn-39: :sn-40:

New intern at my company
A new intern started at my company today. She is very nice and friendly. The boss gave us the task of getting the family magazines, which are fresh from the press, ready for shipping and sorting the bills. Tomorrow she will watch me as I enter the events for the family magazine's events calendar and perhaps she will also write her first entries of her own.

Issue with screen protector application service and the solution
When I turned the new phone on, I noticed that there's some lint between the phone and the screen protector. Everyone I talked to about the topic told me that I should go back to the electronics store to have the lint removed. I tried my best to ignore the lint. But after some days have passed I came to the conclusion that they are right. I paid for the screen protector application service, then I can expect a flawless result. So I returned to the store today. The employee who applied the screen protector to my phone last week wasn't there. The other employee managed to get rid of the lint. Now I'm happy.

The only thing I need before I can completely switch to the new phone is a phone pouch. I still use my old smartphone when I'm on the go because I haven't a pouch that is big enough (why do smartphones have to be so big these days?). I just ordered a bigger one and it will be delivered to me in a couple of days.
Last edited by Selene310187 on Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smr1957

Post by smr1957 »

Congrats on one full year! And think - this is only the first of many, many, more! :sn-56: :sn-48: :sn-39:
Avrie

Post by Avrie »

Congrats from the old cat as well. I mentioned it on the thread , but not here which was silly. :sn-13:
Altbert

Post by Altbert »

Congratulations from me as well. Should have been a few days earlier, but a light flu kept me from the computer most of the time. :sn-40:
Bis vincit, qui se vincit in victoria - He conquers twice who conquers himself in victory (Publius Syrus)
Selene310187
Site Admin

Post by Selene310187 »

Thank you all for the congratulations :sn-2:
Selene310187
Site Admin

Post by Selene310187 »

YouTube becomes more and more infested with ads and the percentage of unskippable ads is growing. Luckily, there are ad blockers that come to the rescue. But recently, you might get a pop-up when you try to play a video telling you to turn off your ad blocker, otherwise the video streaming is blocked after three videos, unless you turn off your ad blocker. I use uBlock Origin and I could circumvent this problem by clearing the caches of the filter lists and updating them afterwards. Additionally, you can clear the cache and cookies in your browser. Some other methods are mentioned in this thread on Reddit: How to bypass Youtube anti-ad block with Enhancer for Youtube

I came across this video stating that YouTube's ad blocker detection could be illegal in the EU
A video from YouTube usually appears here. Please contact an administrator.
A video from YouTube usually appears here. Please contact an administrator.
What do you think about YouTube's strategy to combat ad blockers? Will YouTube respectively Google shoot themselves in the foot with it in the long run?
These users thanked the author Selene310187 for the post:
Altbert
Selene310187
Site Admin

Post by Selene310187 »

The search for my nutcracker gave me the idea to create more order in my living room. For example, yesterday I managed to sort through three years' worth of documents that were scattered in three different places. The larger part is now in a newly created folder, the most important documents in a loose-leaf binder so that they are quickly at hand. And the nutcracker? Despite my best efforts, I couldn't find it. So I bought a new one.

Return to “Seating Area”