Visions of ArcaniA

Discussion about other games regardless of their modability.
Selene310187
Site Admin

Visions of ArcaniA

Post by Selene310187 »

On April 5 I started to play ArcaniA, the fourth part of the Gothic series and it's a game that was part of my backlog for some years. I played Gothic 2 and 3 very briefly. Back then, the series wasn't my cup of tea. In 2022, I gave the playable teaser of the Gothic 1 remake a try. I enjoyed it so much that I had tasted blood and wanted more of the game series. But it was another two years before I finally started Arcania for the first time.

Just like in the Two Worlds series, the player plays a nameless hero. Since I think a name makes everything easier, I call him Eric.

He's a shepherd ...

... living in a hut near Feshyr Village on Feshyr Island.

Eric wants to marry Ivy.

But he can only do this if Ivy's father gives him his blessing. Eric has to pass three tests to achieve this.

One test involves an old friend of Eric and some of you know him from earlier parts of the Gothic series

Good old Diego!

Eric passed all tests. Next, the blacksmith is to make him an engagement bracelet. Eric gets the amber he needs from a friendly orc.

He presents Ivy with the finished bracelet and proposes to her, which she accepts. Ivy asks Eric to go with him to Argaan (another island) to experience adventures there. He agrees and asks Diego for help in realising their plan.

On the way to Diego's hiding place, he meets the jealous farmer Knut, who Eric brings back down to earth with a short fight.

Diego only helps Eric if he takes the herbs to the witch in the dark forest.

The witch Lyrca senses that Eric has the potential to use magic. After the witch had awakened his magic, she asked him to perform another task: to defeat the annoying bugs in the cave that can only be killed with magic.

After he defeated all the bugs and the bug queen, events came thick and fast.

I'll put the next part inside a spoiler because it's a massive spoiler about the fate of Ivy and the other residents of the village.
Spoiler
When Eric left the cave, he saw that his village was in flames. Soldiers from King Rhobar's army arrived on the island in warships, raided the village and slaughtered everyone they saw.

Including Ivy.

Eric scattered her ashes and left Feshyr Island with Diego.

Further visions* of this game will follow.
* my storytelling and screenshots

Visions of other games I have played, in chronological order:
Two Worlds 2 (main quest completed; maybe I play some DLCs in the future)
Starfield (only side quests for now, paused)
Two Worlds (only side quests, stopped playing after I explored most of the northern part of the map)

Tags:
Selene310187
Site Admin

Re: Visions of ArcaniA

Post by Selene310187 »

Eric's adventures on Argaan

(Please note that I sometimes put words into the mouth of the figures which they didn't say. These words serve to underline the scenes and story.)

Eric and Diego arrived Argaan with their boat ...

Eric: "The king will pay for what he had done."

Diego: "And he will. Nevertheless, we should keep a cool head and come up with a plan."

Eric: "I can't make any promises."

Then Diego remembered that he had something else to do elsewhere. He would meet Eric later. So Eric went to the tavern alone to find out more about the island and the king's machinations.

Eric could see the town of Stewark in the distance. But it was not his next destination.

High up on a tower, Eric looked out to sea. He collected his thoughts. Half an hour passed and he finally realised that he was not alone. A fisherman caught his attention.

The fisherman asked him to find a wooden leg that had been stolen by goblins.

Many goblins stood in his way as he searched for the wooden leg. It must be a very valuable wooden leg. But even the strongest fighter needs a break sometimes. The goblins' drum was a perfect opportunity.

The hammer will serve Eric well on his adventures until he finds something stronger.

"Since when can goblins levitate."

After hours of searching, he found the wooden leg on a hill near the mine. Eric handed it back to the fisherman and collected the reward. He then took care of the robbers who were blocking the bridge.

He passed the bridge and after a short time he came across a farmer's house. He met the farmer outside. The farmer also had a request: Eric should once again flatten (large) beetles.

In addition to the hammer, Eric's equipment also included an axe. He realized in amazement that it glowed in the dark.

Eric ran back and forth, slaughtering more monsters, until at some point he decided to travel to Stewark.

Only with the Baron's permission can he pass the next stage of his journey, which brings him one step closer to completing his revenge plan.
Selene310187
Site Admin

Re: Visions of ArcaniA

Post by Selene310187 »

The true ruler of Stewark

Eric approached the guards at the gate to the city.

At first they didn't want to let Eric in.

Eric let his charm play and before he knew it he was already in the centre of the city.

At the foot of the tower, he met an old friend of Diego's.

Gorn: "Are you looking for Diego? Then have a look in prison. He has tangled with some important people."

In prison...

Eric: "How did you come to this honor?"

Diego: "I've stirred up a wasp's nest."

Diego explained to Eric what had happened.

Eric: "That's a bad thing. But don't worry, I'll get you out of here somehow."

Eric left the prison. He asked around the town to find out how he could free Diego. The baron's sister, who had to go into hiding, gave him important clues. The baron was embroiled in evil machinations. Eric found the evidence and took it to the baron's younger brother.

Lord Hertan: "Thank you, I am deeply indebted to you. With this evidence, we can finally oust my hypocritical brother from his throne."

Back in the city. Eric was delighted to see that Diego was finally free. The new baron, Lord Hertan, had kept his word.

Before Eric visited Lord Hertan in his tower, he paid a visit to the former Baron Lord Renwick, who had been thrown into prison.

Lord Renwick: "You will regret that!"

Eric was not impressed by the baron's threats and replied with a nonchalant line.

On the way to Lord Hertan, he paused briefly and looked out to sea again. As always, it had a calming effect on him.

Eric: "The city's future is secure."

Lord Hertan: "As a reward for your service to the city, I give you this armor. May it serve you well on the battlefield."

(The player can choose between three different armors: a heavy one, a medium one and a light one. I chose the heavy one.)

Return to “Gaming Corner”