Let me introduce myself - smr1957

Your hobbies, interests, favorite games, ...
smr1957

Let me introduce myself - smr1957

Post by smr1957 »

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Steve Ross, known as smr1957 in the various forums and sites regarding gaming. I am extremely active in the Skyrim Steam forums - for both original Skyrim and SSE, and am the author of several pinned topics, as well as being active in the AFK Mods forums. Helping other Skyrim gamers is not just a hobby, it is my passion.
Many Steam forum members know me as the creator of extreme Skyrim builds - with the largest (current) being 2310 total mods and 1667 plugins merged down to 250 .esm/.esp files, and 53 .esl files, and using Intrigued ENB (though, undoubtedly, I will be adding more mods to that - LOL!).
I am also an expert in xEdit, with more than 7,000 hours spent in it (probably closer to 8,000, now). While I don’t expect others to become xEdit experts, I do encourage them to become at least somewhat proficient in the program, especially if they plan to create large builds.
I have also created a Skyrim Special Edition mod based upon the popular Steam Special Edition forum thread Old Farts' Coffee House, called - what else? The Coffee House. The Coffee House mod may be found on AFK Mods and on Nexus:
https://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/file ... fee-house/
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecial ... mods/67102
As a bonus, the AFK Mods version contains an original Etienne and Hador story not included in the Nexus version - The Cabin In the Snow.

Skyrim plays a part in my writing as well. I have created an ongoing saga featuring my gaming character, Etienne, and his sidekick, Hador, set in a fictional world of my own creating, Shanqua (of which the Cabin In the Snow is one such story - though the location is not specified, so it could just as easily be in Skyrim as anywhere else). I also have a life outside of Skyrim (yeah, hard to believe, isn't it? LOL!) and am a writer of both fiction and poetry unrelated to Skyrim or gaming.

As to my background in gaming (other than the aforementioned activity), once upon a time - and a very long time ago it was indeed - I was a game designer/developer (this was all in the board game era, back in the late '70's, literally a lifetime ago) and worked for, what was then, one of the leading wargame companies around - Simulations Publications, Inc. It was great fun and linked my two passions - history and gaming. Working in the field, it left me with a keen appreciation for the job that game companies do, and how they go about it. Of course, back then, we only dreamed about computer gaming - the reality of what it has become, is truly incredible! It was a time of great enjoyment - especially getting paid to do what I now do for free - LOL!

For those interested, I can be found here:

My profile page on Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197979830787/

My AFK Mods Profile:
https://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/prof ... 5-smr1957/

And well, you already are reading this at Modding on the Spectrum!

And check out my Patreon page for not only what I am doing in Skyrim, but also my other fiction and stories - especially my series of Etienne and Hador adventures, many of which are open to all and do not require a person be a patron of my site to read.
My Patreon page: https://www.patreon.com/smr1957

Thanks for taking the time to read this! I hope you all have a fantastic day - and game on!
These users thanked the author smr1957 for the post:
Selene310187
Selene310187
Site Admin

Re: Let me introduce myself - smr1957

Post by Selene310187 »

smr1957 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:47 pmAs to my background in gaming (other than the aforementioned activity), once upon a time - and a very long time ago it was indeed - I was a game designer/developer (this was all in the board game era, back in the late '70's, literally a lifetime ago)
This reminds me of having the dream to become a video game designer.

About 5 years ago, I did an internship at a company which makes 3D scans and 3D prints. Beside secretarial work I was allowed to create some 3D models with Blender to show my skills. I noticed that I need a lot of time to make the models look "good enough". At the end, the boss gave me second chance to prove myself: I should create 9 3D models within a month. After the third model and seeing the deadline coming very close, I gave up and broke contact because I realized that I can't work with him on the long run (too many discrepancies and others). The images of the 3D models which I created during and after the internship can be found here.

I also remember asking local gaming companies for an internship but they only take undergraduates.

Then I learned more about the working conditions in the gaming industry. I wasn't sure if I have enough "spoons" for working overtime over long periods and if I can withstand the strain.

One year later, I did another internship which led to my current job. I'm responsible for managing the entertainments guides of a variety of family magazines. I'm working part-time so I have enough time to recharge my batteries.
These users thanked the author Selene310187 for the post:
smr1957
smr1957

Re: Let me introduce myself - smr1957

Post by smr1957 »

Unfortunately, just like in other disciplines, a lot depends on the people you are working for/with. That can make all the difference between a pleasurable experience, and one that is shear hell!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”