How do I play Fallout 4 and other Games?

Ivanhoe1955SI

How do I play Fallout 4 and other Games?

Post by Ivanhoe1955SI »

How do I play Fallout 4 (but also other games) what are my preferences?

I have been asked in another forum why in my pictures of Fallout 4 are hardly any objects that look clean, modern and neat. But instead, there are buildings that look like they were put together from many individual parts and then secured with lots of tape.

The same goes for weapons. One wrote: There are so many good weapon mods and gave some examples:
H&K rifle G36
H&K MPi 7
FN-SCAR

Only these as an example already show that they could not be present in the Fallout universe that is shown to us by the lore.

Fallout drifted in the time shortly after the Second World War into another dimension than our own real world.
There are voices that claim everything has remained in the 50s, others again are of the opinion that at least the 60s still belong to it because you hear something about the Vietnam War in the intro of Fallout New Vegas.

But I myself try to stay relatively close to the lore, even if this is not always observed even by Bethesda itself.

But that also means that I have certain NoGos that I stick to. One of them is the choice of weapons.
For me, a weapon that was developed in Year 2000+ has no right to exist in my Fallout universe. The same goes for clothing with prints.

An American You Tuber from Seattle once presented this in a video as he sees it. The 20 minute video can be seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PVBmKgAN8o

For the most part, I agree with this, although not as restrictive in certain parts as he is. Especially with certain mods to crafting for the reconstruction are unfortunately now built so that modern items are included. But then you can act so that you do not use them.

My own way of playing includes the following

Mods I use should be lore friendly
Mods that give me the possibility to build buildings should not contain modern elements.
Mods that have content that might offend other groups or have political statements I avoid. This includes that I do not install mods that contain symbols of forbidden organizations.
You can also simply say: No ♡♡♡♡ symbols.

How do I play?
A
I like open world but I am not a friend of constraints. That means: I talk to an NPC, he has an order for me and now there would be two models:
Like a German You Tuber did in Elex: Accept and complete the task without regard to your own skills and level. His own words "I still have to do that" "I still have to talk to them" "Have we talked to everyone here in town?" He has thus put himself in a straitjacket without realizing it. I am for model 2
I can take the job but put it on hold for now. First of all I get an overview of the area I am in.
Then I see what I can do in this area without going beyond my capabilities, i.e. I take on something I can't handle. This always reminds me of a sentence that a You Tuber (name forgotten) once said: Bite off only as much as you can chew.
B
Since I don't let myself be forced into a corset I take my time and explore the landscape, look under every rock and read every book, listen to every AudioLog and all the clues I find.
You wouldn't believe how many side quests are freed up by this alone.
C
I was and will always be an enemy of an infinite inventory, non-wearing weapons and clothing.
I accept it when it happens in games (for example all Piranha Bytes games) but I don't think it's right.
Now this has nothing to do with me exaggerating the realism in a game as someone once tried to criticize me for. My answer to this is always: Realism and game are two things that should be separated because they are not possible. Just as in a Shakespearian drama a main character would not swallow real poison for the sake of realism.
Stamina may be consumed if it does not become restrictive. Sleeping, eating and drinking however are not to my taste in games. That means that I don't use the survival mode most of the time.

The things mentioned in point B don't really make me what you would call a good MMO player.

Question I was asked in the context of Fallout 4::
Doesn't that limit you the way you play in Fallout 4 ?
Answer no, but it admittedly makes the game a bit more challenging.
Just a mod as an example:
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/43818
This mod alone has basically everything you need to build my way.
However, I am also aware that you can't do this 100%. Sturges, for example, can repair power armor. Why can't he also repair washing machines, dryers, and broken generators, or convert them to run on bio-alcohol?

With the knowledge in the background, I allow myself personal freedom.

But even if I was once a mod maker myself I put some restrictions on myself or have priorities.
Only two short examples
Morrowind
I created a mod called "From the old days".
Without spoiling: The content is about a kind of self-made scholar who throws together reality, legend, knowledge and half-knowledge, presses the whole thing in book form and now needs a fool (the player) to get everything under one hat.
Some guessed it already, it is about lore from past parts and especially about what ESO delivers us with its chapter Morrowind (of which I am not thrilled).
But I have played for my mod Morrowind in ESO, searched locations and then tried to transfer to the map from TES 3 Morrowind. That was not easy because unfortunately both maps fit only in the height structure but not in the dimensions over each other. The map in ESO is smaller.
But I succeeded to some extent. I would have had it simpler if I had taken an approximate place which would have been correct to 40%. But I do not work like that
Oblivion
For this I created a house mod in cooperation with someone else (he wrote the quest for me) with the title "Castle at the lake".
For me was important
a
the mod had to explain why the castle is there
b
it had to be integrated into the known lore in a way that it fits to the TES series or even makes sense
c
it had to be made clear in the game why this castle has only urgently needed interior decoration, hardly any weapons and armor and hardly any books.

For both mods I dared to write all the books in it myself if they did not exist.

If desired I can introduce both mods here also more exactly.

Spoiler
Wie spiele ich Fallout 4 (aber auch andere Spiele) was sind meine Präferenzen?

Ich bin in einem anderen Forum schon gefragt worden warum in meinen Bildern zu Fallout 4 kaum Gegenstände zu sehen sind die sauber, modern und gepflegt aussehen. Dafür aber überwiegen Bauten die aussehen wie aus vielen Einzelteilen zusammengesetzt und dann mit Mengen an Klebeband gesichert.

Das gleiche für Waffen. Einer schrieb: Es gibt doch so viele gute Waffenmods und nannte auch Beispiele dazu:
H&K Gewehr G36
H&K MPi 7
FN-SCAR

Nur diese als Beispiel zeigen schon das sie in dem Fallout Universum das uns von der Lore gezeigt wird nicht vorhanden sein könnten.

Fallout driftete in der Zeit kurz nach dem Zweiten Weltkrieg in eine andere Dimension als unsere eigene reale Welt.
Es gibt Stimmen die behaupten alles sei in den 50er Jahren geblieben, andere wiederum sind der Meinung das mindestens die 60er Jahre noch dazugehören da man im Intro von Fallout New Vegas etwas zum Vietnam Krieg hört.

Ich selbst aber bemühe mich relativ nahe bei der Lore zu bleiben auch wenn diese sogar von Bethesda selbst nicht immer beachtet wird.

Das bedeutet aber eben auch das ich bestimmte NoGos habe an die ich mich halte. Eines davon ist eben die Wahl der Waffen.
Für mich hat eine Waffe die Jahr 2000+ entwickelt wurde keine Daseinsberechtigung in meinem Fallout Universum. Gleiches gilt für Kleidung mit Aufdrucken.

Ein amerikanischer You Tuber aus Seattle hat das einmal in einem Video dargestellt wie er es sieht. Das ca. 20 minütige Video kann man hier sehen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PVBmKgAN8o

Weitestgehend stimme ich dem zu wenn auch nicht so restriktiv in bestimmten Teilen wie er. Vor allem bei bestimmen Mods zu Crafting für den Wiederaufbau sind leider mittlerweile so aufgebaut das auch moderne Gegenstände mit enthalten sind. Das kann man aber dann so handeln das man das nicht nutzt.

Meine eigene Art zu spielen umfasst folgendes

Mods die ich nutze sollten Lorefreundlich sein
Mods die mir die Möglichkeit bieten Gebäude zu errichten sollten keine bis kaum moderne Elemente enthalten
Mods die Inhalte haben die andere Gruppen eventuell beleidigen könnten oder auch politische Aussagen haben meide ich. Dazu gehört auch das ich keine Mods installierte bei denen Symbole verbotener Organisationen enthalten sind.
Man kann auch einfach sagen: Keine ♡♡♡♡ Symbole

Wie spiele ich?
A
Ich mag Open World aber bin kein Freund von Zwängen. Das bedeutet: Ich spreche mit einem NPC, der hat einen Auftrag für mich und jetzt gäbe es zwei Modelle:
Wie es ein deutscher You Tuber bei Elex machte: Direkt annehmen und erledigen ohne Rücksicht auf eigenes Können und das Level. Eigene Worte von ihm "Das muss ich ja auch noch machen" Mit denen muss ich noch reden" "Haben wir hier in der Stadt mit jedem geredet?" Er hat sich damit ohne es zu merken in eine Zwangsjacke gesteckt. Ich bin für Modell 2
Ich kann den Auftrag annehmen aber schiebe ihn erst mal in der Warteschleife nach hinten. Zuerst einmal verschaffe ich mir einen Überblick über die Gegend in der ich bin.
Dann schaue ich was ich hier in dem Bereich alles machen kann ohne über meine Fähigkeiten zu gehen, mir also etwas aufhalse was ich nicht bewältigen kann. Das erinnert mich immer an einen Satz den ein You Tuber (Namen vergessen) einmal sagte: Beiß nur so viel ab wie du kauen kannst
B
Da ich mich nicht in ein Korsett zwängen lasse nehme ich mir die Zeit und erkunde die Landschaft, schaue unter jeden Stein und lese jedes Buch, höre jedes AudioLog und alle Hinweise die ich finde.
Man glaubt nicht wieviele Nebenquest teilweise alleine dadurch freiwerden.
C
Ich war und werde es immer sein ein Feind eines unendlichen Inventars, nicht verschleißender Waffen und Kleidung.
Ich akzeptiere es zwar wenn es in Spielen vorkommt (als Beispiel alle Piranha Bytes Spiele) aber ich finde es nicht richtig.
Das hat jetzt nichts damit zu tun das ich den Realisus in einem Spiel übertreiben würde wie mich jemand einmal kritisieren wollte. Meine Antwort darauf lautet immer: Realismus und Spiel sind zwei Dinge die man trennen sollte denn sie sind nicht möglich. Genausowenig wie in einem Shakespear Drama ein Hauptdarsteller zwecks Realismus echtes Gift schlucken würde
Ausdauer darf verbraucht werden wenn das nicht einschränkend wird. Schlafen, Essen und Trinken allerdings sind nicht nach meinem Geschmack in Spielen. Das heißt das ich den Survival Modus meist nicht nutze

Das bei Punkt B genannte macht mich nicht unbedingt zu dem was man einen guten MMO- Spieler nennen würdew.

Frage die man mir in dem Zusammenhang bei Fallout 4 stellte::
Schränkt dich das nicht ein so wie du spielst bei Fallout 4 ?
Antwort nein, aber es macht zugegeben das Spiel etwas herausfordender.
Nur eine Mod als Beispiel:
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/43818
Alleine diese Mod hat im Prinzip alles was man benötigt um nach meiner Art zu bauten.

Ich bin mir allerdings auch darüber im Klaren das man das nicht zu 100% machen kann. Sturges zum Beispiel kann Powerrüstungen reparieren. Warum kann er dann nicht auch Waschmaschinen, Trockner und defekte Generatoren reparieren beziehungsweise auf Betrieb mit Bio Alkohol umstellen?

Mit dem Wissen im Hintergrund erlaube ich mir persönliche Freiheiten.

Aber auch wenn ich einmal selbst als Modersteller tätig war lege ich mir ein paar Beschränkungen auf bzw. habe Prioritäten.
Nur zwei kurze Beispiele
Morrowind
Ich habe eine Mod erstellt die heißt "Aus alten Tagen"
Ohne zu spoilernh: Inhaltlich geht es da um eine Art Selfmade Gelehrten der Realität, Sage, Legende , Wissen und Halbwissen zusammenwirft, das Ganze in Buchform presst und jetzt einen Dummen (den Spieler) braucht um alles unter einen Hut zu bekommen.
Einige ahnen es schon, es geht hier um Lore aus vergangenen Teilen und vor allem um das was uns ESO mit seinem Kapitel Morrowind (von dem ich nicht begeistert bin) abliefert.
Ich habe aber für meine Mod Morrowind in ESO gespielt, Schauplätze gesucht und dann versucht auf die Karte aus TES 3 Morrowind zu übertragen. Das war nicht einfach dennn leider passen beide Karten nur in der Höhenstruktur aber nicht in den Abmessungen übereinander. Die Karte in ESO ist kleiner.
Es ist mir aber doch einigemassen gelungen. Einfacher hätte ich es gehabt wenn ich einen ungefähren Ort genommen hätte der zu 40% gestimmt hätte. Aber so arbeite ich nicht
Oblivion
Dafür habe ich in Zusammenarbeit mit einem anderen (dieser schrieb die Quest für mich) eine Hausmod erstellt mit dem Titel "Burg am See"
Für mich war wichtig:
a
die Mod musste erklären warum die Burg da steht
b
es musste so in die bekannte Lore eingebunden werden das es zu der TES Reihe passt oder doch Sinn ergibt
c
es musste in dem Spiel klargemacht werden warum diese Burg über nur dringend erforderliche Inneneinrichtung, kaum Waffen und Rüstungen und kaum Bücher verfügt.

Für beide Mods habe ich mich daran getraut alle Bücher darin selbst zu schreiben sofern es sie nicht gab.

Wenn gewünscht kann ich beide Mods hier auch genauer vorstellen.
These users thanked the author Ivanhoe1955SI for the post:
smr1957
Don't blame me, I'm only human after all
Selene310187
Site Admin

Re: How do I play Fallout 4 and other Games?

Post by Selene310187 »

It's a very interesting way of playing the game. I never think much about how I play a game; I just play it. Then the mod creator in me takes over sooner or later (if the game is moddable) and I'm sunken into mod projects LOL.
Spoiler
Es ist eine sehr interessante Art und Weise das Spiel zu spielen. Ich denke nie viel drüber nach, wie ich ein Spiel spiele; ich spiele es einfach. Früher oder später übernimmt die Mod-Erstellerin im mir die Führung und ich versinke in Modprojekte LOL.

Ivanhoe1955SI wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:15 amFor both mods I dared to write all the books in it myself if they did not exist.

If desired I can introduce both mods here also more exactly.
Sure, why not? I'm especially interested in the "Castle at the lake" mod :sn-2:.
Spoiler
Klar, warum nicht? Ich bin besonders an der "Castle at the lake" Mod (Schloss am See?) interessiert :sn-2:.
These users thanked the author Selene310187 for the post:
Ivanhoe1955SI
Ivanhoe1955SI

Post by Ivanhoe1955SI »

I'll introduce it here in more detail the days in the correct subforum. Possibly also the second mod I had created for Oblivion, with the name "The Castle of the Warrior" Originally it had the name Kriegerburg, but that was reserved for a DLC in Oblivion that carried the name Battlehorn Castle. In German then just named as Kriegerburg

Unfortunately the second mod still has bugs, but I couldn't fix them for a long time. It's nothing that directly affected Oblivion, but the performance in the castle was not good, because it came to duplications of items.

Neither for Skyrim nor for Fallout 4, I then did not even begin to mod, because I was attacked again and again hostile and also received threats by e-mail (my mistake, I had revealed my e-mail address at Castle by the Lake, but it no longer exists or was replaced by my new one).
All this because I was in a team that created two big mods for Fallout 3. Maybe someone still knows the one: Living Wasteland. Another one had to be withdrawn because of alleged copyright infringement. Since I then took the modder concerned in protection, not his alleged misconduct, but generally as a person and asked in the posts against him not to go below the belt, but to remain fair and criticize, but not to insult I was suddenly also in the line of fire and was attacked, with sentences like: Whoever collaborates with thieves is a thief himself.

But these were mainly attackers from German-speaking countries. It was then that I made my decision: Never again will you mod for this toxic community. A resolution I keep up to this day.

Our administrator will know this, because some of it took place in my last forum and some in another German speaking one. Since both still exist and I actually want my peace, I won't name names.

But I think I should communicate that here so openly, because I think it's only fair that others know why I call myself a mod author, but still nothing more comes from me.

Spoiler
Ich werde es die Tage hier genauer vorstellen im korrekten Subforum. Eventuell auch die zweite Mod die ich für Oblivion noch erstellt hatte, mit dem Namen "Die Burg des Kriegers" Ursprünglich hatte sie den Namen Kriegerburg, aber der war für ein DLC bei Oblivion reserviert, dass den Namen Battlehorn Castle trug. In Deutsch dann eben als Kriegerburg benannt

Leider hat die zweite Mod noch Fehler, die ich aber über eine lange Zeit nicht abstellen konnte. Es ist nichts, was direkt Einfluss auf Oblivion hatte, aber die Performance in der Burg war nicht gut, da es zu Verdopplungen von Gegenständen kam.

Weder für Skyrim noch für Fallout 4 habe ich dann gar nicht erst begonnen zu modden, da ich immer wieder feindselig angegriffen wurde und auch Drohungen per E-Mail erhielt (mein Fehler, ich hatte bei Burg am See meine E-Mail Adresse preisgegeben, es gibt sie aber nicht mehr bzw. wurde ersetzt durch meine neue)
Das alles nur, weil ich bei Fallout 3 in einem Team war, das zwei große Mods erstellte. Eventuell kennt die eine jemand noch: Living Wasteland. Eine andere musste zurückgezogen werden, wegen angeblicher Urheberrechtsverletzungen. Da ich damals den betroffenen Modder in Schutz nahm, nicht sein angebliches Fehlverhalten, sondern allgemein als Mensch und bat bei den Posts gegen ihn nicht unter die Gürtellinie zu gehen, sondern fair zu bleiben und zu kritisieren, aber nicht zu beleidigen war ich plötzlich auch in der Schusslinie und wurde angegriffen, mit Sätzen wie: Wer mit Dieben zusammenarbeitet, ist selbst ein Dieb.

Es handelte sich aber vor allem um Angreifer aus dem deutschsprachigen Raum. Damals fiel dann mein Entschluss: Nie wieder wirst du für diese toxische Community modden. Einen Vorsatz den ich bis heute aufrecht erhalte.

Unsere Administratorin wird das kennen, weil ein Teil davon in meinem letzten Forum stattfand und einiges auch in einem anderen deutschsprachigen. Da beide noch existieren und ich eigentlich meine Ruhe will, werde ich keine Namen nennen.

Aber ich denke, das sollte ich hier so offen kommunizieren, denn ich finde es nur gerecht, dass andere wissen, warum ich mich zwar als Mod-Autor bezeichne, aber trotzdem von mir nichts mehr kommt.
Selene310187
Site Admin

Post by Selene310187 »

I don't remember much from that time. What I still know was that were many people involved making accusations against each other. Writing in the forums concerned was not fun anymore and this for a long time. Some people left or started anew under a different name. At some point things have calmed down.
Spoiler
Ich kann mich nicht mehr genau erinnern, was damals passierte. Ich weiß nur noch, dass viele Leute involviert waren und sich gegenseitig Anschuldigungen machten. Das Schreiben in den betreffenden Foren machte für eine lange Zeit keinen Spaß mehr. Manche Leute gingen, manche fingen unter einem anderen Namen von vorne an. Irgendwann haben sich die Wogen wieder geglättet.
Ivanhoe1955SI

Post by Ivanhoe1955SI »

Selene310187 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:15 pm I don't remember much from that time. What I still know was that were many people involved making accusations against each other. Writing in the forums concerned was not fun anymore and this for a long time. Some people left or started anew under a different name. At some point things have calmed down.
Spoiler
Ich kann mich nicht mehr genau erinnern, was damals passierte. Ich weiß nur noch, dass viele Leute involviert waren und sich gegenseitig Anschuldigungen machten. Das Schreiben in den betreffenden Foren machte für eine lange Zeit keinen Spaß mehr. Manche Leute gingen, manche fingen unter einem anderen Namen von vorne an. Irgendwann haben sich die Wogen wieder geglättet.
You got a private message
Altbert

Post by Altbert »

I'm not much into post-apocalyptic or horror type of games. Most of the time I will stick to the TES games Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim. To take a break from TES games is will play games like Eastshade, The Talos Principle (incl The Road to Gehenna), Obduction, Submerged, Xing: The Land Beyound and even point-and-click games like Adera. But in general games need to be first person, open world, and the game itself should have some background story, either the game as a whole or the protagonist. Oh, and I love puzzles! Not, that I'm good in solving puzzles, but I love to break my brains over a good puzzle. That's why I start my day with the daily newspaper, reading the news and after reading reaching the puzzles: sudoku, tectonic and in the weekend a binary puzzle.
Bis vincit, qui se vincit in victoria - He conquers twice who conquers himself in victory (Publius Syrus)
smr1957

Post by smr1957 »

Altbert wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:58 pm I'm not much into post-apocalyptic or horror type of games. Most of the time I will stick to the TES games Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim. To take a break from TES games is will play games like Eastshade, The Talos Principle (incl The Road to Gehenna), Obduction, Submerged, Xing: The Land Beyound and even point-and-click games like Adera. But in general games need to be first person, open world, and the game itself should have some background story, either the game as a whole or the protagonist. Oh, and I love puzzles! Not, that I'm good in solving puzzles, but I love to break my brains over a good puzzle. That's why I start my day with the daily newspaper, reading the news and after reading reaching the puzzles: sudoku, tectonic and in the weekend a binary puzzle.
I can certainly testify to the fact that Albert is great at solving puzzles and loves doing so! Give him something to figure out and he is on it like a detective on a tough case - and does not let go until he finds the answer! :sn-30:
These users thanked the author smr1957 for the post:
Altbert