[WIP] Floating Island of Legends

Releases, works in progress, help, reviews, ideas, tutorials
Altbert

Re: Floating Island of Legends

Post by Altbert »

Selene310187 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:49 pm You could make backups of the DLCs, clean them, generate the LOD and overwrite the edited DLCs with your backups.
You're right, never thought about that! Just the 3 vanilla DLCs as I already have a backup of the AE DLC.
Bis vincit, qui se vincit in victoria - He conquers twice who conquers himself in victory (Publius Syrus)

Tags:
Altbert

Post by Altbert »

Thanks for the suggestion, Selene. It worked, although I still got a lot of warnings which I couldn't get rid off by cleaning. Some pictures:

The Floating Island of Legends as seen from the Whiterun walls,

as seen from Goldenhills Plantation,

and as seen from the Coffee House porch.
These users thanked the author Altbert for the post (total 2):
Selene310187, smr1957
Bis vincit, qui se vincit in victoria - He conquers twice who conquers himself in victory (Publius Syrus)
smr1957

Post by smr1957 »

I really love the shot from the Coffee House porch! A very impressive sight!
These users thanked the author smr1957 for the post:
Altbert
Altbert

Post by Altbert »

Now I have to figure out how to create mod-specific LOD to include with Floating Islands.
Altbert

Post by Altbert »

Forget about the last post. First I have to figure out why I have a CTD when getting near the island, or fast travelling to the island.
Selene310187
Site Admin

Post by Selene310187 »

It could be a conflict with one or more mods. Does the CTD also appear if no other mods are activated? If no, activate the deactivated mods one by one to find out the culprit.

Maybe it's problem with DynDOLOD, the generated LOD (e.g. missing textures or meshes) or changes/additions regarding opponent spawns in that area which were made by DynDOLOD:
https://stepmodifications.org/forum/top ... ific-cell/
Altbert

Post by Altbert »

Selene310187 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:19 pm It could be a conflict with one or more mods. Does the CTD also appear if no other mods are activated? If no, activate the deactivated mods one by one to find out the culprit.

Maybe it's problem with DynDOLOD, the generated LOD (e.g. missing textures or meshes) or changes/additions regarding opponent spawns in that area which were made by DynDOLOD:
https://stepmodifications.org/forum/top ... ific-cell/
Sofar I have found no conflicts and no errors in any of the mods I'm using. I haven't done a check when no other mods are activated, as I have been gaming this weekend, mainly on Solstheim. Near confronting Miraak! But it might be a good idea to start a new game without mods, except for the DynDOLOD files and the floating island, and see what happens. But, I have a slight idea what may have caused it, not certain, but if that's really the cause I may have made a big mistake with finishing LOD generation. If so, that mistake is difficult to trace back to a particular save.
Altbert

Post by Altbert »

Sofar, I have narrowed the possibilities of the CTDs a bit down, but I am still far from a solution:
  • Only CTD of the game is in the area around the island, t.i. the surface cells below the island and an extra 2 or 3 cells around this area.
  • Starting a new game makes no difference, still CTDs when approaching the island from all sides.
  • All other areas are fine: the 10 Aleyd ruins and the 10 stockade towers for the airship.
Still have to check some things, such as the opponent spawning points. There is one major spawning point quite near the well door. But, maybe LOD generation can't handle LOD for multiple levels. I may need to do some out of the box thinking. It's close to the island, so that's where LOD4 and LOD8 might be used, and LOD16 and LOD32 further away from the island.

I will continue my current gameplay for now, as I am too far in. I will probably be able to COC to the interiors and get my loot out, to do the main questlines for Ysmir's story.
Selene310187
Site Admin

Post by Selene310187 »

Altbert wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:39 pmStill have to check some things, such as the opponent spawning points. There is one major spawning point quite near the well door. But, maybe LOD generation can't handle LOD for multiple levels. I may need to do some out of the box thinking. It's close to the island, so that's where LOD4 and LOD8 might be used, and LOD16 and LOD32 further away from the island.
My feeling says that you are on to something.
These users thanked the author Selene310187 for the post:
Altbert
Altbert

Post by Altbert »

Selene310187 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:03 pm My feeling says that you are on to something.
I hope so! For now I'm not sure, but I think DynDOLOD may be the problem, but at the other hand also xLODGen and maybe TexGen could be part of it. For now I will just be playing the game for a while, since I have already come so far, past level 100 without making any skill legendary. Although I have the sneak skill maxed by hunting, I don't use sneak in dungeons which is causing a pretty hard time when higher level draugr are concerned. Their unrelenting force shout is way much stronger then mine, although it won't kill my character, but progress is "one step forward, three steps back". Now it comes down to strategy, where can I go without being "blasted back" and surprise the draugr. I love it that much, that I don't want to start over again solving the LOD issue. And there are still Alduin and Harkon I have to settle with!

Nothing notable on TV, so I'm going back in game!