Things that truly help people with ADHD

Attention Deficit Disorder with and without hyperactivity
-> more info
Selene310187
Site Admin

Things that truly help people with ADHD

Post by Selene310187 »

I recently watched this video by "How to ADHD" which was a real eye-opener to me. I summarize the things that truly help people with ADHD according to the video.

#1: Organize and clean up with them

They have their own visual cues and if they were removed without their involvement, important things could be forgotten (e.g. the bill for paying the bill).

#2: Break tasks into chunks

Regular breaks help people with ADHD to sustain focus. You can use a timer for each chunk and when the timer is up, they can take a break.

#3: Ask them when they get the think in question done

Because urgency helps them to be motivated and get things done. If no deadline is set, then "you've just taken the thing and dropped it from the now box to the not now box."

#4: Find with them an organizing system that works for them

For example if they are used to pen and paper, the switch to a digital one could be too hard.

#5 A: Listen to and understand the extent of their struggles

Saying that everyone has struggles like this can actually be invalidating "because if everybody struggles like this then are we just the one person in the world who hasn't managed to figure it out".

#5 B: Let them judge for themselves how easy is a task for them
(And help them to walk through the steps.)

This way "you're acknowledging that the task might be difficult for them and encouraging them to do it anyway."

Bonus: Allow them to do easier tasks first to build up their motivation

If they get a running start, the other tasks are a little less daunting.