Does anyone else think too much or too long about something?

It can occur alongside Autism, ADHD/ADD and other conditions.
-> more info
Selene310187
Site Admin

Does anyone else think too much or too long about something?

Post by Selene310187 »

For example, before I go to sleep, it can happen that I review past unpleasant situations asking myself what I could have done better. Once the ruminating began, it takes me several hours to find sleep. When I publish one of my creative works, I think too much about what others could think about it, if it's good enough. Upcoming situations where I'm unable to fathom the possible outcome frighten me because my inner critic then lists all things that could go wrong. I have problems asking someone for something due to my underlying fear of rejection which I developed in school. But if I feel that I can trust them, I find it easier to ask them. My brain tends to be even more racing when I don't feel good generally. However, the (nearly) constant (over)thinking occasionally helps me to come up with (partly) unusual ideas to solve problems. All in all, it holds me back to live my life to my fullest potential.

Sometimes I manage to write some of these worries down in my diary to reduce the baggage.

Some days ago, I've found two videos related to overthinking:

A video from YouTube usually appears here. Please contact an administrator.
They gave me new insights and offered ways to challenge these issues. I know that it's hard to break old behavior patterns and it could take a long time until I see some progress. I want to try it at least.

If you have/had similar problems, what things did help you?
ScytheBearer

Re: Does anyone else think too much or too long about something?

Post by ScytheBearer »

When it comes to past hurts or harms or slights or "the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune", I try my best to forget and ignore them. Worrying about them, trying to rewrite them, trying to make them come out differently are a waste of ones energies. Furthermore, those burdens are heavy, and carrying them will crush ones spirit and warp ones soul, forever distorting ones perceptions and perspectives. Better for me to just play duck and waddle on.

"The past is to be learned from, not lived in". anonymous.
These users thanked the author ScytheBearer for the post:
Selene310187
occidere thalmor

Post by occidere thalmor »

"Overthinking over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Withering my intuition, leaving opportunity behind.

Feed my will to feel this moment
Urging me to cross the line
Reaching out to embrace the random
Reaching out to embrace whatever may come" -MJK

Joy is what living creatures experience when they share pleasure with other living creatures. Joy is the spark of life.

Overthinking, fear and social anxiety costs us nothing less than our ability to experience joy.

Joy, is in that random leap of faith to be vulnerable.

"Spiral out, keep going." -MJK
Selene310187
Site Admin

Post by Selene310187 »

Thank you for these inspiring words. I hope I can overcome the things that hold me back.
occidere thalmor wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 1:00 pmOverthinking, fear and social anxiety costs us nothing less than our ability to experience joy.
That's so true.

Return to “Social Anxiety”