Visibility of the Neurodiversity forum

Threads that lost their relevance come here

Should the Neurodiversity forum and its subforums visible...

Poll ended at Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:48 pm

to all users?
100%
only to registered users?
No votes

Total votes: 1

Selene310187
Site Admin

Visibility of the Neurodiversity forum

Post by Selene310187 »

Before I created the Neurodiversity forum, I was unsure if is better to open up the forum to all users or if only registered users should see it. I asked in the development thread on AFK Mods for advice back then and I chose the first option. So why I create the poll in the first place? Because I'm not sure anymore if the first option was the right choice.

First option ("to all users"): Everyone can see that are not alone with their problems.

Second option ("only to registered users"): But not everyone wants to disclose to the general public or isn't ready to do this.

The votes are anonymous by default ;) (only a phpBB mod could change this).

Edit: I stopped the poll, for more information see here and here. I will probably revaluate the situation and opening the poll again from time to time when the number of users in the forum is growing (not quite decided).
Altbert

Re: Visibility of the Neurodiversity forum

Post by Altbert »

Do you have other options in creating user groups? For instance creating a special group for users with a neurodiversity issue, or maybe even a user group with expertise on neurodiversity. Sofar, I think phpBB is a great forum platform, but I'm unaware of its capabilities. This is an open platform, and I think not everybody likes to communicate out in the open about their possible neurodiversity issues, although it may be (semi-)anonimous.

Just some thoughts, Selene. As a teacher I had some minor training about neurodiversity, but far too little to be of help to every student with a disorder in the spectrum. Very much to my regret, although I have managed to guide at least one student from the lowest level of vocational education to polytechnic, with success. Maybe I could have done more, if we had received proper training. I'm too old to have ever been tested on neurodiversity disorder, but I could have it as well. I may never know.
Bis vincit, qui se vincit in victoria - He conquers twice who conquers himself in victory (Publius Syrus)
Selene310187
Site Admin

Post by Selene310187 »

Yes, it's possible to create new user groups. Furthermore, I can control if users can join the group right from the start or only via request, and if the group is listed in the legend at the bottom of the board index.
For instance creating a special group for users with a neurodiversity issue, or maybe even a user group with expertise on neurodiversity.
Do you mean that the neurodiversity forum should only be visible to a neurodivergent users group? Or is the purpose of a neurodivergent users group to just find other neurodivergent users?
smr1957

Post by smr1957 »

The Neurodiversity - General Discussion category should definitely be open to all - absolutely no question in my mind about that. For too long, people have been told - and convinced - that discussion of any type of health issues (mental or otherwise) should not be done - "don't talk about it," "don't let people know," and that doing so is a sign of weakness. WRONG! These are topics that should be brought into the open so that people can see that they are issues that effect EVERYBODY and are nothing to be ashamed of - and that people should be as comfortable talking about these things as they would about any other subject.

However, the other parts of that forum (Autism, ADHD/ADD, Social Anxiety, High Sensitivity) should require an additional registration step and extra layer of security for access to comment (though not to read) and then the personal OK by an administrator to do so (and would require close moderation to ensure that people do not get out of line). Though I still think that anyone who is registered for the forum as a whole should be able to see and read the entire [ NEURODIVERSITY ] Section - just not comment in those 4 specific subsections unless they pass scrutiny.

As to the moderation itself for those who do get out of line - for the obviously egregious, an immediate and permanent ban from the entire forum. For those that are less apparently hateful (or may just be posting personal experiences for "shock" value - and which may or may not be true), because sometimes people post stupid or silly things without thinking or any intent to hurt, and without being aware that they may be taken the wrong way, a warning with a probationary period (6 months, maybe?) stating that should it occur again during that period, a permanent ban will be enforced. And then, if they do it again within that probationary period, a permanent ban. For the Site as a whole, a second warning before a permanent ban, and only a three month probationary period.

The purpose here is not to provide psychological help - the only people who should be providing that are trained professionals. The purpose here, as I see it, is so that people can be open and to enable awareness - and that should be something that everyone should be able to read about.
These users thanked the author smr1957 for the post (total 2):
Altbert, Selene310187
Altbert

Post by Altbert »

As Steve already wrote, the Neurodiversity - General Discussion forum should be open to all for both reading and writing, and the subforums should have some kind of extra security layer as for commenting on entries in those subforums. I was a little short in my earlier comment as it was already late and went to bed. Steve commented in the way I may have done, though in other words, but it's already in his post. Thanks, Steve!
These users thanked the author Altbert for the post (total 2):
Selene310187, smr1957
Bis vincit, qui se vincit in victoria - He conquers twice who conquers himself in victory (Publius Syrus)
Selene310187
Site Admin

Post by Selene310187 »

@ Altbert & smr1957: You've convinced me.

I stopped the poll (on Vanilla phpBB, it's not possible to set a duration that is shorter than one day; that's why I installed Advanced Polls). The next step is changing the forum permissions of the respective forums according to smr1957's suggestions.

I will implement a neurodivergent users group which can be joined by request. Only the users in this users group will be able to comment/start new topics in the Autism, ADHD/ADD, Social Anxiety and High Sensitivity subforums.

Edit: done
These users thanked the author Selene310187 for the post:
smr1957
Altbert

Post by Altbert »

Selene310187 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:32 pm @ Altbert & smr1957: You've convinced me.

I stopped the poll (on Vanilla phpBB, it's not possible to set a duration that is shorter than one day; that's why I installed Advanced Polls). The next step is changing the forum permissions of the respective forums according to smr1957's suggestions.

I will implement a neurodivergent users group which can be joined by request. Only the users in this users group will be able to comment/start new topics in the Autism, ADHD/ADD, Social Anxiety and High Sensitivity subforums.

Well done, Selene. But maybe you might want to start the poll again on a regular basis, when the number of users of this forum is growing. The number of users is still very small and the outcome of the poll may not be representative when more users join the forum. Otherwise maybe ask one or more specific questions when people want to join the forum.
These users thanked the author Altbert for the post:
smr1957
Selene310187
Site Admin

Post by Selene310187 »

Altbert wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:19 pmOtherwise maybe ask one or more specific questions when people want to join the forum.
What questions should be asked then; do you have some examples?
Altbert

Post by Altbert »

Selene310187 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:47 pm
Altbert wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:19 pmOtherwise maybe ask one or more specific questions when people want to join the forum.
What questions should be asked then; do you have some examples?
Sorry, no I haven't, I'm no expert, far from it! But maybe something in the line of "Do you have a neurodivergent disorder?" and "What type of neurodivergent disorder do you have?". It will be very difficult to get confirmation on the answers, unless a user can provide evidence, but even then. Everybody can provide some kind of evidence, but when is it legit or not? That's probably the largest problem with online information: is it for real and legit, or ...
These users thanked the author Altbert for the post (total 2):
Selene310187, smr1957
smr1957

Post by smr1957 »

Selene310187 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:32 pm @ Altbert & smr1957: You've convinced me.

Very good!

Return to “Public Archive”