Abyss Demon (WIP)

Releases, works in progress, help, reviews, ideas, tutorials
Selene310187
Site Admin

Abyss Demon (WIP)

Post by Selene310187 »

A demonic race, a quest revolving around the origin of the race with different outcomes and a underground sanctuary for the members of the race. Dark fantasy meets dark sci-fi.

There are three different variants of the demonic race (Aero, Druida, Hybrida). Two variants are inspired by Illidan and Malfurion from World of Warcraft/Warcraft 3. The third one, a hybrid between the winged variant and human, is a product of my imagination.

ImageImageImageImage Image Image

The background story
It all began with Itarkra Tarm, a dwemeric scientist and a mighty magician, who searched for the secret of eternal life. He was born in a Dwemer settlement near Red Mountain 50 years before the Siege of Red Mountain. When he fell out with his family and his scientist collegues, he immigrated to Cyrodiil. In the seclusion of the mountains of Cyrodiil at the border to Morrowind he built his hideaway which consisted of a laboratory and a living area. After the construction was finished, he used his magical power to weave one part of his hideaway with the structure of the Outer Realms. If required he could change this area into a plane of the Outer Realms completely which was maintained by the magic of Welkynd and Varla stones because it was an enormous energy sapping process. This special area was his experimental space being untouched by outside influences which could disturb his experiments. His staying in this plane prevented that he disappeared like the other Dwemer. He did know that Yagrum Bagarn didn't disappear as well but he avoided any contact with him.
The years had passed. Itarkra's research didn't make any progress. One experiment after another failed. His test subjects, mostly beggars, became rarer and rarer. He didn't even shy away from abusing his assistants for his experiments who were simple humans. All died like flies or - when they didn't die - became will-less zombies. One of his assistants couldn't stand by and watch any longer. He flew to Mournhold one night in order to report to Almalexia what Itarkra had done. He hoped that she granted him asylum.
Almalexia was very upset. In her eyes only gods should be immortal. She sent her Hands to stop Itarkra's efforts and to kill him. The flighty assistant beaconed the garrison to Itarkra's hideout in the mountains. Itarkra awaited them already. He had somehow found out what Almalexia had planned. Itarkra stood at the entrance to his laboratory with his head held high. But something had occured to him.

In the present. You receive an ominous letter. The letter writer asks you to come to the "Oak and Crosier" inn because she wants to discuss an important matter with you privately because she doesn't trust the courier. In the inn you meet an odd-looking figure sitting at the table smoking a pipe. A hood is hiding her face. She introduces herself as your sister Xantira and is acting on Itarkra's behalf who is according to Xantira your father. Curious to find out more you start your way to the sanctuary in the mountains accompanied by Xantira.

I did a couple of "Beta" releases but they are all outdated. Currently available are the very old English Beta version and the "finished" German version which I released in 2016. Shortly after this release I began to work on the English translation, found new bugs, fixed bugs, added new content (e.g. a new spell) and got the idea to rework the body textures and meshes to make them seamless.

The progress on this project is halted since autumn 2020 (Edit: I turns out that I last time I worked on Abyss Demon was in May, 2022 - why I did forget this is a mystery to me). I started a side project, cancelled it (released it as a modders resource), switched to Fallout 4, released some mods for Fallout 4, switched to Skyrim SE, released two mods for Skyrim SE and last but not least I built up this forum.

Abyss Demon is the biggest one of all my projects and the one with the most and longest interruptions which can last more than few weeks or months; the longest break was one year... wait a minute, this was true until 2020 "happened"... :sn-5:. So let's say the longest break before 2020 was one year. I started the project in 2009. Yes, 2009, 13 years ago. So why did I made so many breaks? It's due to my very limited amount of energy and I often need a lot of variation. There were also phases where I overdid working on the project and I neared a burnout. When this happens I need to stop the work on the project immediately. Then I switch to other games and/or other projects. When nearing another burnout ... it's a vicious circle. I hope that I will finish it someday.

An overview of the development in the course of time and more pictures can be found here.
These users thanked the author Selene310187 for the post (total 3):
smr1957, Altbert, Vlad 254

Tags:
Selene310187
Site Admin

Re: Abyss Demon (WIP)

Post by Selene310187 »

Do you want to laugh? Yesterday, I discovered that the last time I worked on Abyss Demon was actually in 2022, in May (and I remembered that I fixed some bugs, which a user reported, on top). It slipped my memory somehow. If I haven't looked into my project files to find some information which I could use for the next parts of Samuel's Story*, I would still believe that I halted the progress on the project 2 years ago (so it's "only" half a year as I'm writing this).

* Yes, you read correctly, I'm going to (further) link the universe of Abyss Demon with the chain of events in Samuel's Story (two figures from the Abyss Demon universe already made their appearance in the Skyrim short story) - a crossover so to speak.