Moon of Madness

Discussion about other games regardless of their modability.
Ivanhoe1955SI

Moon of Madness

Post by Ivanhoe1955SI »

Since we can discuss here also about games that are not mainstream and possibly not moddable I would like to introduce something here that helped me over a time that---let's say was not easy. Do not want to go into it, it has passed.

The game is called Moons of Madness

Small review of a game that I can't necessarily recommend to everyone.
The following people should refrain from playing it:
Contemporaries, who are already scared of their own shadow from 22 o'clock onwards
Contemporaries who like to do everything in games, but no puzzles
Contemporaries who want to shoot their way through a game
contemporaries who do not like survival interludes
Contemporaries who do not want to read terminals

Who will enjoy it then?
Anyone who played Fallout 3, liked Point Lookout and the story around the Dunwich Building and the family's ancestral home in Point Lookout.
Who played Fallout 4, liked the story revolving around Dunwich Borers---again Dunwich? Right.
People who also give indie games a chance. The one I'm briefly touching on here is distributed by indie studio RockPocket Games and is loosely set in the universe of Funcom's MMORPG Secret World Legends. For example, the Orochi Group, a mega-corporation that finances the Mars expedition in Moons of Madness, is known from Secret World.
The cat is already out of the bag, the game is called Moons of Madness.
But what does the game have in common with Fallout 3 and 4?
The same as these:
Alone in the dark
Shadow of the comet
Bloodborne
Call of Cthulhu
The sinking city

All of the games mentioned, including Moon of Madness are based on Lovecraftian novels, and the Cthulthu cult as example is addressed in Fallout.

I won't reveal too much of the game, because that would spoil surprises and progress. Therefore, in general terms.
What is Moon of Madness about?

A company is in the process of breeding and cultivating a new plant species on Mars. One of the scientists wakes up in the morning and finds that he is all alone on the station. But it turns out that the nightmares he has been having have more in common with reality than he would like.

Almost with Piranha Byte's philosophy, which says: give the hero nothing and let him start from zero, this can be described as well. You have to go in the game in search of a communication bracelet, with it, you can load maps, open locks and also see other tasks.
These tasks also make you visit other areas of the sprawling station, which can only be reached by traveling with a Mars Mobile. But you'll need oxygen, you'll have to plan your way, then solve puzzles in the stations, put equipment back into operation, and you'll keep running into situations that are macabre and even horrific in parts. That goes up to situations, in which reality, dream and memories of earlier become one, merge with each other and one solves tasks, which are clear from the environment in the cellar of a dwelling house, but not on Mars.

As I said, I don't want to give too much away.

Play time
This is very much dependent on how well you solve puzzles, how well you can orient yourself, and whether you're the type who likes to get through things quickly. However, there is not much time to explore.

Pro
Appealing environment, good voice actors
Puzzles solvable, even if some are difficult to mean
The player has the desire to see how the game will end (motivation to play through)
Controls quite good

Cons
even if it has some good shock effects, it is absolutely not comparable to games like Alien Isolation. If you didn't get scared there, you'll get bored here
linear in the story
partly predictable shock effects
a lot of reading at terminals necessary

Conclusion
If you are looking for something that will make a few hours pass faster in winter, you should grab it. I got it as early access. Today you pay about 25 Euro
In my opinion a bit too much for what is offered, but everyone should decide for himself.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Spoiler
Da wir hier auch über Spiele diskutieren können die nicht Mainstream sind und ggf. auch nicht modbar möchte ich etwas hier vorstellen das mir über eine Zeit hinweggeholfen hatte die---sagen wir nicht einfach war. Möchte nicht darauf eingehen es ist vergangen.

Das Spiel heißt Moons of Madness

Kleine Review eines Spieles, das ich nicht unbedingt jedem empfehlen kann. Folgende Personen sollten Abstand dazu nehmen:
Zeitgenossen, die sich bereits ab 22 Uhr vor ihrem eigenen Schatten erschrecken
Zeitgenossen, die alles gern machen in Games, aber keine Rätsel
Zeitgenossen, die sich in einem Spiel den Weg frei schießen wollen
Zeitgenossen, die keine Survival Einlagen mögen
Zeitgenossen, die nicht Terminals lesen wollen

Wer hat dann Spaß daran?
Wer Fallout 3 spielte, mit Point Lookout und die Geschichte um das Dunwich Building und dem Stammsitz der Familie in Point Lookout mochte.
Wer Fallout 4 spielte, die Story mochte, die sich um Dunwich Borers drehte---schon wieder Dunwich? Ja, genau
Personen, die auch Indie Games eine Chance geben. Das, was ich hier kurz anspreche wird vom Indie-Studio RockPocket Games vertrieben und ist lose im Universum des Funcom-MMORPGs Secret World Legends angesiedelt. Zum Beispiel kennt man die Orochi Group, ein Mega-Konzern, der die Mars-Expedition in Moons of Madness finanziert, aus Secret World.
Da ist die Katze auch schon aus dem Sack, das Game heißt Moons of Madness.
Was aber hat das Spiel mit Fallout 3 und 4 gemeinsam?
Das gleiche wie diese:
Alone in the dark
Shadow of the comet
Bloodborne
Call of Cthulhu
The sinking city

Alle die genannten Spiele, auch Moon of Madness beruhen auf Lovecraftschen Romanen und auch der Cthulthu Kult zum Beispiel wird in Fallout angesprochen.

Ich werde nicht zu viel vom Spiel verraten, denn das würde Überraschungen und Fortschritt verderben. Daher allgemein gehalten.
Wovon handelt Moon of Madness?

Eine Firma ist dabei auf dem Mars eine neue Pflanzenspezies zu züchten und zu kultivieren. Einer der Wissenschaftler wacht morgens auf und stellt fest, dass er auf der Station ganz alleine ist. Aber es stellt sich heraus, dass seine Albträume, die er hatte, mehr mit der Realität gemeinsam haben als ihm lieb ist.

Schon fast mit Piranha Bytes Philosophie, die da sagt: Gebt dem Helden nichts und lasst ihn bei null beginnen, kann man das hier auch beschreiben. Ihr müsst euch im Game auf die Suche nach einem Kommunikationsarmband begeben, damit kann man Karten laden, Schlösser öffnen und auch weitere Aufgaben einsehen.
Diese Aufgaben bringen euch auch dazu, dass ihr andere Bereiche der weitläufigen Station aufsucht, die man nur per Reise mit einem Marsmobil erreicht. Aber ihr braucht Sauerstoff, ihr müsst euren Weg planen, in den Stationen dann Rätsel lösen, Anlagen wieder in Betrieb nehmen und ihr werdet immer wieder in Situationen kommen, die makaber und auch zum Teil horrormässig sind. Das geht bis hin zu Situationen, in denen Realität, Traum und Erinnerungen an früher eines werden, miteinander verschmelzen und man Aufgaben löst, die von der Umgebung eindeutig im Keller einen Wohnhauses, aber nicht auf dem Mars sind.

Wie gesagt ich will nicht zuviel verraten.

Spielzeit
Das ist sehr stark davon abhängig, wie gut ihr Rätsel löst, euch orientieren könnt und ob ihr eher der Typ seid, der gern schnell durch ist. Viel Zeit zum Erkunden aber gibt es nicht.

Pro
Ansprechende Umgebung, gute Sprecher
Rätsel lösbar auch, wenn einige schwierig bis gemein
Es kommt beim Spieler der Wunsch auf, wie es wohl ausgeht (Durchspielmotivation)
Steuerung recht gut

Kontra
auch, wenn es teilweise einige gute Schockeffekte hat, ist es absolut nicht mit Spielen wie Alien Isolation vergleichbar. Wer sich dort nicht erschreckt hat, wird sich hier langweilen
linear in der Geschichte
zum Teil vorhersehbare Schockeffekte
viel Lesen an Terminals nötig

Fazit
Wer etwas sucht, das ein paar Stunden im Winter schneller vergehen lässt, der sollte zugreifen. Ich habe es als early access erhalten. Heute zahlt man ca. 25 Euro
Nach meiner Ansicht etwas zu viel für das Gebotene, aber das soll jeder selbst für sich entscheiden
These users thanked the author Ivanhoe1955SI for the post:
smr1957
Don't blame me, I'm only human after all
Altbert

Re: Moon of Madness

Post by Altbert »

I'm not much of a game reviewer myself, but I like your reviews, and I'm not into the games you review. But maybe I should do some reviewing myself about games I play when I'm not into the TES games. But, nobody should expect to much from my reviews.
These users thanked the author Altbert for the post:
Ivanhoe1955SI
Bis vincit, qui se vincit in victoria - He conquers twice who conquers himself in victory (Publius Syrus)

Return to “Gaming Corner”