Better Late than Never, right?

Your hobbies, interests, favorite games, ...
SIMelissa

Better Late than Never, right?

Post by SIMelissa »

I go by SIMelissa on Steam (because I enjoy simulation games), but you can call me Melissa or Hey You.

About me:
I love music but can't play an instrument or sing a note -- at least not without causing dogs to howl and people to flee the room.

My favorite games are Oblivion, Skyrim, Mass Effect, Conan Exiles, and Civilization V. I love open world games where I can lose myself in my imagination.

Reading has long been a source of escape for me. The past few years an odd health made it difficult for me to read for more than a few minutes at a time so I recently subscribed to Audible and have been enjoying audiobooks. The experience is not the same but it's better than not reading at all.

In a past life, I wrote non-fiction articles for a living. Now, I dabble at writing fiction, something I love, though lately I have to force myself to sit down at the keyboard. I'm retired now. While I have tons of free time, it seems I get less done now than when I was working. Just not motivated, I guess.

I have two grown sons, one that I live with, and two beautiful dogs.
One is a 4-year-old purebred smooth-coat border collie (the first dog I've ever purchased from a breeder). Her name is Bodie (named after a California ghost town). She knows the names of her toys and will get whichever one I ask her to bring. She's also a little Miss Priss princess who balks at going potty whenever it's rained. In many ways, she's like a child, except that I can trust her to be home alone. :sn-35:

The other is 3-year-old Australian Cattle Dog mix (aka: Queensland Heeler). Her name is Nezuko, like the demon girl in the Demon Slayer manga books. She's new to our family, recently adopted from the local shelter where she lived in a kennel for two months. She is sweet, smart, housebroken and crate trained. Unfortunately, she has severe separation anxiety and goes ballistic when left alone for more than 5 minutes. Crying, howling, pacing, tearing up things. Her anxiety is so high that I can't even train her to sit. I recently started her on anxiety meds, though it will be a few weeks before we know if it is helping. Wish us luck!
These users thanked the author SIMelissa for the post (total 3):
smr1957, Ivanhoe1955SI, Avrie
Melissa :sn-55:
smr1957

Re: Better Late than Never, right?

Post by smr1957 »

There you are Melissa! Now we can properly welcome you to the Spectrum! In many ways, it should be somewhat familiar, as it as a strong similarity to the Coffee House (not to mention some of the same people) - it is a warm, inviting, comfortable place, and has many seats around the fire. So just plop yourself down in one of the comfy chairs, and enjoy! And have some snacks and drinks while you are at it, as well! :sn-43: :sn-42: :sn-41: :sn-39:
Selene310187
Site Admin

Post by Selene310187 »

Welcome to the forum, Melissa! :sn-2:

Regarding reading, I wish I could manage my time better to read more. The last time I read a book was months ago. So I'm reading forum posts instead which is entertaining as well but forums don't give me same feeling that books and role playing games do. Steven's short stories in the Seating Area reminded me recently how wonderful reading of fiction can be and I miss it a lot.
These users thanked the author Selene310187 for the post:
smr1957
Altbert

Post by Altbert »

Hi Melissa,

Nice to welcome you here to the forum! Yes, it is always better to be late than never!
Bis vincit, qui se vincit in victoria - He conquers twice who conquers himself in victory (Publius Syrus)
Ivanhoe1955SI

Post by Ivanhoe1955SI »

A warm welcome from me too. Make yourself comfortable in the seating area. :sn-20:
Don't blame me, I'm only human after all
Avrie

Post by Avrie »

There you are. Welcome. Been hiding again? :sn-2:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”