Auto-saving drafts feature

Overview of the changes to the forum
Selene310187
Site Admin

Auto-saving drafts feature

Post by Selene310187 »

This is done via the DB Auto Draft extension. When you write a new post, the draft is auto-saved into the database. If your post got lost somehow (e.g. you experienced a power outage while writing your post), you can load the recent auto-draft from the database. The draft can be found in the "Load draft" tab below the Preview/Submit buttons. As soon as you submitted your post successfully, the most recent auto-saved draft will be deleted automatically.
Selene310187
Site Admin

Re: Auto-saving drafts feature

Post by Selene310187 »

I edited the last sentence and added words "the most recent" to it. I noticed that when you take a lot of time to write a long post and use the preview feature very often, there are a lot of auto-saved drafts. I had about 40 at this post. So I'm not sure anymore if should keep the extension. Because I fear that it bloats the database too much if the users don't check the "Load draft" history of the posts in question.
Avrie

Post by Avrie »

Shouldn't all the saved drafts be automatically deleted when the post is finalized? I may use the change history feature of Word when I'm typing an article, but I never considered using it for a basic forum post.
Selene310187
Site Admin

Post by Selene310187 »

That's what I thought too when I tried the extension for the first time (in the test forum). Now after writing a couple of posts in the live forum, it turns out that is not always the case. I cannot explain exactly why I had still over 40 auto-saved drafts after I submitted the post in my Two Worlds 2 screenshot thread. I'll keep an eye on it before I make my decision.

Edit:

I deleted the post, which I wrote at 2:02 pm, for testing purposes. When I was writing the new version, there were 2 auto-saved drafts. After I submitted the new version of this post, one draft got deleted automatically but not the other one.

Edit 2:
I wrote and deleted a couple of quick test posts in the hidden test area of the live forum. The single draft got deleted automatically each time. So I assume that the issue occurs occasionally.

Return to “Information & Announcements”