User galleries for screenshots and more

Overview of the changes to the forum
Selene310187
Site Admin

User galleries for screenshots and more

Post by Selene310187 »

Thanks to the phpBB Gallery extension we have user galleries now! You can add your own personal albums (User Control Panel > "Gallery" tab) or upload your images to the Miscellaneous album. More general albums* may be added in the future; feel free to make suggestions in this thread :sn-37:.
Update on Sept 15, 2023: Added Starfield - Public Gallery

The Gallery section is accessible via the camera symbol/Gallery link at the far right end of the navigation bar or click here.

In addition, the extension has a built-in contest system which we can use to conduct screenshot contests for example.

*Adding general albums (the albums above the "Users Personal Albums" section) can only be done via the Admin Control Panel as far as I can see.

Limits:
Miscellaneous album: 20 images per user
Starfield - Public Gallery: 20 images per user
Personal user album: 50 images per user, unlimited number of subalbums
Last edited by Selene310187 on Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: added new general album, increased upload limits
Altbert

Re: User galleries for screenshots and more

Post by Altbert »

I take it that we still should use an external host for the images if we want to create a personal gallery? Will have to check it out!
Bis vincit, qui se vincit in victoria - He conquers twice who conquers himself in victory (Publius Syrus)
smr1957

Post by smr1957 »

Selene310187 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:28 am Thanks to the phpBB Gallery extension we have user galleries now! You can add your own personal albums (User Control Panel > "Gallery" tab) or upload your images to the Miscellaneous album (more albums may be added in the future).

The Gallery section is accessible via the camera symbol/Gallery link at the far right end of the navigation bar. This access point can vanish on small screens. That's why I created another access point below the "Recent Topics" section.

In addition, the extension has a built-in contest system which we can use to conduct screenshot contests for example.
OOOOOOOHHHH! Nice! I'll have to try and exert some self control, however; I already flood Steam and AFK mod with my pics :sn-23:
Altbert

Post by Altbert »

Already saw it. Uploading images (types jpg, gif and png) with a max. of 700 KiB. So, I would have to compress, resize images if I want to create a gallery.
Bis vincit, qui se vincit in victoria - He conquers twice who conquers himself in victory (Publius Syrus)
Selene310187
Site Admin

Post by Selene310187 »

Altbert wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:38 am I take it that we still should use an external host for the images if we want to create a personal gallery? Will have to check it out!
Recently, I looked at the statistics of my web space provider and noticed that all my three sites occupy 1 GB in total. And the forum occupies a tiny fraction of it (about 50 MB at the moment). There's still enough free web space available, so I don't have to worry for the time being. I admit that I the prefer the use external image hosters but I never said that I disallow uploading images to the site. As long as users don't overdo uploading images to the site, I'm fine :sn-37:.
Altbert wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:53 am Already saw it. Uploading images (types jpg, gif and png) with a max. of 700 KiB. So, I would have to compress, resize images if I want to create a gallery.
I recommend using RIOT for the image compression. It does a really great job and I have been using it for a few years.

Edit: Oh, I've reached 100 posts :D
smr1957

Post by smr1957 »

Selene310187 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:04 am
Altbert wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:38 am I take it that we still should use an external host for the images if we want to create a personal gallery? Will have to check it out!
Recently, I looked at the statistics of my web space provider and noticed that all my three sites occupy 1 GB in total. And the forum occupies a tiny fraction of it (about 50 MB at the moment). There's still enough free web space available, so I don't have to worry for the time being. I admit that I the prefer the use external image hosters but I never said that I disallow uploading images to the site. As long as users don't overdo uploading images, I'm fine :sn-37:.
Altbert wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:53 am Already saw it. Uploading images (types jpg, gif and png) with a max. of 700 KiB. So, I would have to compress, resize images if I want to create a gallery.
I recommend using RIOT for the image compression. It does a really great job and I use it for some years.
I wonder, if maybe having a cap on the total number of images a person may be able to have in their gallery at any one time may help. So, for example, let's say that there is a cap of ten images at a time - if a person had reached that cap and had ten images already, if they wanted to upload another, they would have to remove one. I wonder it that might be a good idea. People could still share pics, but the site would not get overwhelmed (there are plenty of other places for people to have their pics stored, after all). Even if the cap was only 5, it would still allow people to share images - without overdoing it.
Altbert

Post by Altbert »

I wouldn't mind compressing/resizing my images, but since many of us are already hosting images elsewhere, it would be nice to just link to those images. There may be enough webspace now, but if we all start uploading images it can also mean a lot of new webspace occupied.A limit to the number of images would be a good idea. Like Stever wrote, reaching your max and willing to upload a new one means removing an other one.
smr1957

Post by smr1957 »

Altbert wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:27 am I wouldn't mind compressing/resizing my images, but since many of us are already hosting images elsewhere, it would be nice to just link to those images. There may be enough webspace now, but if we all start uploading images it can also mean a lot of new webspace occupied.A limit to the number of images would be a good idea. Like Stever wrote, reaching your max and willing to upload a new one means removing an other one.
Frankly, if I am going to view a pic, I don't want to see a link and go to some other site - I want to see the pic in the gallery I am viewing. Having just a gallery of links defeats the whole purpose of having a gallery. Also, it makes it harder to moderate - where are the links going? What is being shown when you get there? Not to mention that people may just not be comfortable going to some external site. Also, since there is already a limit on the size of the individual pic that can be uploaded, by having a cap, you can know that there will never be anything more than the 700Kb limit times the set picture cap. And, if the site ever gets large enough where there may be too many, I think by that time the site itself would require more capacity.
Selene310187
Site Admin

Post by Selene310187 »

I changed the settings to the following:

Miscellaneous album: 10 images per user
Personal user album: 30 images per user, unlimited number of subalbums

Altbert wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:27 amI wouldn't mind compressing/resizing my images, but since many of us are already hosting images elsewhere, it would be nice to just link to those images.
There's a setting called "Allow links to images from all sites" but I believe it refers to links in the description of the uploaded image (the setting is activated). I didn't find a possibility that users can link to external images in the gallery instead of uploading them.

smr1957 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:38 amFrankly, if I am going to view a pic, I don't want to see a link and go to some other site - I want to see the pic in the gallery I am viewing. Having just a gallery of links defeats the whole purpose of having a gallery.
I feel the same way.
Ivanhoe1955SI

Post by Ivanhoe1955SI »

I put some pics inside the misc gallery, several games (Fallout 4 and The Outer Worlds)
German
Ich habe einige Bilder in die Misc-Galerie gestellt, mehrere Spiele (Fallout 4 und The Outer Worlds)
These users thanked the author Ivanhoe1955SI for the post:
Selene310187
Don't blame me, I'm only human after all