IP anonymization and usage statistics

Overview of the changes to the forum
Selene310187
Site Admin

IP anonymization and usage statistics

Post by Selene310187 »

I activated the IP anonymization function of the Privacy Protection extension. I noticed that activating this function forces a logout. I don't know if it's a forced logout for all logged-in users. If yes, I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused.

Furthermore, I enabled the anonymized data collection of Webalizer to find out how many users visit the website or which website contents are visited most frequently for example. Before this, I only had pretty basic statistics for all of my three websites together. But I wanted to know the usage statics of each site individually and with more detail. The version of Webalizer used by Modding on the Spectrum anonymizes your IP-address completely so that is not possible to relate the data, which Webalizer collected, to a specific person.
Altbert

Re: IP anonymization

Post by Altbert »

Selene310187 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:15 pm I activated the IP anonymization function of the Privacy Protection extension. I noticed that activating this function forces a logout. I don't know if it's a forced logout for all logged-in users. If yes, I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused.
I haven't noticed anything when I was writing my latest post. I saw it was 23.15 my time when you posted this message, but I think I started my post after that time. Not sure though.
Bis vincit, qui se vincit in victoria - He conquers twice who conquers himself in victory (Publius Syrus)
Altbert

Re: IP anonymization and usage statistics

Post by Altbert »

Selene310187 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:15 pm
Furthermore, I enabled the anonymized data collection of Webalizer to find out how many users visit the website or which website contents are visited most frequently for example. Before this, I only had pretty basic statistics for all of my three websites together. But I wanted to know the usage statics of each site individually and with more detail. The version of Webalizer used by Modding on the Spectrum anonymizes your IP-address completely so that is not possible to relate the data, which Webalizer collected, to a specific person.
But it might be possible to find referrers. I would certainly want to know if the banner I placed on my website does have any effect, and if not, if I can do more.
Bis vincit, qui se vincit in victoria - He conquers twice who conquers himself in victory (Publius Syrus)
Selene310187
Site Admin

Post by Selene310187 »

Altbert wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:01 pm
Selene310187 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:15 pm
But it might be possible to find referrers. I would certainly want to know if the banner I placed on my website does have any effect, and if not, if I can do more.
I've added the "TopSearch 200" (the top 200 search strings) and "TopReferrers 200" (the top 200 referrers) settings to the config file of Webalizer. The changes will take effect the next night.
Altbert

Post by Altbert »

Very interested in the results! It might help what is effective and what is not! But I think you should keep that private.